suitable activities?

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
What suitable activities might be suggested for someone in a Nursing home who is still physically active?
The Nursing Home where my Dad has just been admitted has only just had a new activities co ordinator and I have no idea what my Dad would be interested in doing. Over the last few years he has gradually lost interest in most of his usual topics of interest except walking.
He cannot ask or answer questions, nor can he hold a simple conversation. He can talk but it does not make any true sense--he seems aware that people are talking to him, so he 'talks' back and is happy to do so.
He is on the second floor of the Nursing Home which is the EMI area with good staffing levels including RMH Nurses and care staff and has only been there for a week, but he doesn't seem to actually DO anything except wander around or sit (I know its early days yet) So they asked what sort of activities he might like.........But I just don't know!!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
You will see from the attached link that this was one of my first questions for my husband. There may be some ideas there for you. I am sure others will be along soon to make other suggestions.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?2477-Any-ideas-for-hobbies-and-interests

Sadly it could be that your Dad will not be able to concentrate on new things but its always worth trying.

When my husband finally went to a NH he would sometimes join in singing at any musical events they organised. Often the home would get an entertainer in to do this.
He appeared to watch tv but generally he was not concentrating on it, just staring at the screen as were many other residents.

He did like me going in with photographs, even though I could be showing him the same ones each day.

Good luck.

Blackfield

Mar 8, 2015
My dad only had interest in sport when he was well and a bit of gardening. As the disease took hold walking along the coast and wandering in the garden was the only thing left. Now he is in a home he can't do either of these and I would have no ideas as to what he would find stimulating. To be honest I'm not sure that these past interests are of any relevance any more as he is not the man he used to be. The CH did say he had joined in the dancing and singing the other day, most bizarre.

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
We recently found that a simple game of catch is really great with my mother - I was surprised she could still catch but she seems to really enjoy it.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
At Mum's nursing home ball games were always very popular - 'catch' with the residents sitting in a circle and the carer in the middle throwing to each in turn and they throw back - lots of praise and encouragement for catching and throwing. A very simple game but hugely popular was a child's paddling pool (or other large receptacle) and the residents would throw a ball into it - big cheer every time someone 'scored' also very popular a huge set of skittles (skittles were approx 3 ft tall) and a big but light ball to roll/throw at them - again big cheers for every 'strike'. Singing and music always good as the ability to enjoy that does seem to last longer than other skills. Simple jigsaws, toddler ones with only a few pieces that are easy to grip. A folder of pictures of past hobbies, garden pictures, people fishing, dancing etc.

Sure others will suggest loads more.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi
Just asked this question on another thread. My problem is that OH has just gone into a home for respite, with a view to it being permanent. I saw an activities coordinator on my first inspection visit, but not since.
Today when I was there, he was sitting around 'watching' TV, not interacting very much with anyone. He did say he was pleased to see me! I just thought it was so futile! Yet at home he doesn't do much else. I read through all the suggestions in Beckys link but couldn't see anything that I thought he might be a little interested in and be able to do ( he is late stage mixed dementia) yet he seemed to enjoy himself at daycare.
Now beating myself up about it ( I'm very good at that!)

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
What suitable activities might be suggested for someone in a Nursing home who is still physically active?
The Nursing Home where my Dad has just been admitted has only just had a new activities co ordinator and I have no idea what my Dad would be interested in doing. Over the last few years he has gradually lost interest in most of his usual topics of interest except walking.
He cannot ask or answer questions, nor can he hold a simple conversation. He can talk but it does not make any true sense--he seems aware that people are talking to him, so he 'talks' back and is happy to do so.
He is on the second floor of the Nursing Home which is the EMI area with good staffing levels including RMH Nurses and care staff and has only been there for a week, but he doesn't seem to actually DO anything except wander around or sit (I know its early days yet) So they asked what sort of activities he might like.........But I just don't know!!
My OH plays table tennis!

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
I've just come back from visiting my Dad's care home today. Great fun this morning playing with balloons. The simplest thing but everyone had a great time. X

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Even worse today, he wasn't interested in me being there and slept practically the whole time!

saucepan

Jul 30, 2014
My Dad enjoys the singing vicar that comes in once a week. Music and singing seems to go down well with a lot of the residents. He did actually join in with the pancake making and flipping. Anything silly he really enjoys and laughs at. I take in old photo's which he usually likes to look at and it prompts memories for him and gives us something to talk about. He can't concentrate for very long and usually my visits last 15-20 mins, and that is fine, so long as he enjoys me coming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain