Suicide

Callandergirl

Apr 23, 2013
Today I visited my OH. He has fronto temporal dementia and has been in a home now for 1 year and 3 weeks. He has NEVER settled and even after a drug change he harangued me so much today about getting home, and threatened suicide. His last words to me today we're "It's been nice knowing you" - after 44 years of marriage, 36 of which were very happy before this disease began to take hold. I feel so sad but can't even cry.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I'm so sorry. That is something that is so difficult to hear.

Did you discuss this with the management? He should be in a safe environment in the CH but perhaps they need to be extra vigilant during this difficult time.

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
I feel so much for you. I can't imagine how you felt. Sending a great big cyber hug to you.x

Callandergirl

Apr 23, 2013
Today I visited my OH. He has fronto temporal dementia and has been in a home now for 1 year and 3 weeks. He has NEVER settled and even after a drug change he harangued me so much today about getting home, and threatened suicide. His last words to me today we're "It's been nice knowing you" - after 44 years of marriage, 36 of which were very happy before this disease began to take hold. I feel so sad but can't even cry.

Hi Chemmy, Izzy has pointed out that I pressed report post instead of reply. So sorry and thank you for your reply. Note to self - wear glasses!

Zana

May 12, 2016
Has he done this before?

You mention he has never settled and there has been a drug change so maybe this is his way of getting you to take notice of how utterly fed up he is.

I would want a meeting with his care team PDQ to sort the problem out.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband has mentioned ending it all several times. He would never have thought such things before Dementia, and he wouldn't know what to do now. It seems to me it's simply another way of saying he wants it all to just GO AWAY.

Callandergirl

Apr 23, 2013
Has he done this before?

You mention he has never settled and there has been a drug change so maybe this is his way of getting you to take notice of how utterly fed up he is.

I would want a meeting with his care team PDQ to sort the problem out.

Hi Zana. Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately he has threatened this several times, but we've had several care meetings and at the one before Christmas we discover he was still on Donepezil. He should have been off it before he went into the home. Unfortunately someone forgot to get it deleted from his prescription list. Anyway he's been off that since November and has started on a new drug designed to decrease his agitation. I can't remember the name. On Sunday he was great and I thought we were turning a corner but on Tuesday his mood was foul and I didn't stay long. His last words to me were "It's been nice knowing you."