Suggestions for visiting .....

Rowena C.

Jun 23, 2013
Looking for things to do when I visit Mum as all she does is beg me to get her out of there and take her back home! need to occupy her mind somehow. Any suggestions?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Looking for things to do when I visit Mum as all she does is beg me to get her out of there and take her back home! need to occupy her mind somehow. Any suggestions?

What stage is your mum at? What would she still be able to do?

A warm welcome to TP.

Rowena C.

Jun 23, 2013
What stage is your mum at? What would she still be able to do?

A warm welcome to TP.

Can walk about but can't concentrate enough to do jigsaws, knitting, etc. She absolutely hates being bored but isn't able to do a lot! Difficult to come up with pastimes.....

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Can walk about but can't concentrate enough to do jigsaws, knitting, etc. She absolutely hates being bored but isn't able to do a lot! Difficult to come up with pastimes.....

There was a really interesting thread on here yesterday about just that, it had loads of ideas. It included things like taking in a handbag and filling it full of farmyard animals, then she could guess which ones they were. Or attaching things to an Apron, a zip to open and shut, velcro to fiddle with.

Are they on the lines you were thinking?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome from me, too. Can your mum still remember the old days? If so, get her to tell you all her old stories. It doesn't really matter if you've heard them all a hundred times before!

Take in some old photos to talk about.

Take her for a walk around the garden, if there is one and if the weather is kind enough.

Would she enjoy having a manicure? Her hair washed? I know this might be no good if she has bathing issues.

Take in some dusters and polish her room together, or take in some cutlery that needs polishing, or a box of bits and bobs that you 'need sorting and could she help you'?

Would she enjoy looking after a baby doll, or a cuddly toy? Take some brushes to groom them with.

Does she enjoy music or singing? Take in some CDs, have a singalong.

Take in a cake/muffins and some paper plates and help her to distribute them to the other residents.

Racking my brains for some more ideas, I hope you find something that will help, let us know how you get on!

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Rowena, it's often the everyday things that can be the most beneficial, things that make someone feel useful, it's so hard to feel all our roles are no longer valid. How about taking in some clothes or towels, something you can say you need help folding? And after a little break doing something different you can come right back to it again because she will possibly not recall having done it already.

I also used to play dominoes with Dad, he was almost blind and was unable to follow any of the game really but the thing is, it was actually the simpler aspects of the game that were the real activity. I would start by getting him to turn them all face down, then shuffle them around, count out the 7 for each of us, then stand them up. Even though we hadn't played yet, these actions were occupying and challenging him on a level he could cope with. I had to help him with choosing what one to play and if 2 or more were possible I just pulled them out and asked him to choose the one he wanted, then I guided him to place it correctly. Since I actually played both sides I made sure he won, and he loved it. At the end I would guide him to pack them back into the tin. As an old primary school teacher I'm aware that the process is in itself an experience for learning, and the game was in fact secondary. After 4 games his brain was tired out, it would take an hour to get through, and we would then just listen to music together to relax again. These were such precious times.

Have fun.

Stephanie, xxx

Lucy Lastic

Nov 30, 2009
Dorset
There are some good things on this website:

http://www.active-minds.co.uk

I have tried the jigsaws and the memory cards for my Mum. If your Mum likes word games then Bananagram (Amazon) is like Scrabble but without the board, you can play it in any way you like, depending on ability.

We do word search and basic puzzles as well, I print them off from the internet (Children's ones).

:)