Sugar in her coffee

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thanks @Woo2 and @jennifer1967. Depending on when and Mum’s mood we are perhaps the going to pretend I have one too, if possible. Although if Mum is in one of her ‘suspicious’ moods then that will not work either. It’s worth a try though.
just lots of forms and procedures to read over the weekend.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So today I had a phone call from the Care Home as Mum had been alternating between anger and tears all afternoon. They had hoped that speaking to me she might calm down a bit. Unfortunately she wouldn’t take the phone and all I could hear was her screaming nonsense at the Carer and the nurse. They did apologise for disturbing me (I don’t have a problem with it) but really thought that hearing my voice might calm her as it does work sometimes.
I was so upset for Mum to be going through the nightmare of whatever is going through her head and than inability to communicate it. We all say it - this illness is so cruel and must be utterly tormenting for Mum

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Sorry to hear that @Bikerbeth . It's so distressing to hear a loved one in that state. There have been times when I have been speaking to a carer and heard mum screaming in the background. I think we have to take comfort from the fact that it's unlikely that they remember it themselves, or at least not for long, and that the carers do everything they can to comfort them in our absence.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I think you are absolutely right @lemonbalm which is why I don’t let it upset me (too much) anymore.
hopefully I can start the indoor visits this week which will at least me to get a better idea of how much Mum has changed.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So today I had my first visit as an essential Carer. I had had a PCR and LFT test on Tuesday when I had my external visit which was not a brilliant visit. I also went through the check that I could put on/take off the PPE correctly and wash my hands correctly. So today I only needed my temperature check and to do my 2nd LFT test but I am allowed to go through to Mum whilst the results are waited for. I saw the Carer in the reception area and she apologised to me as she said Mum was not ‘looking’ good. Mum had decided today she definitely did not want a shower and I think the Carer had continued to try and persuade her which ended up with Mum shouting and throwing any thing she could get hold off in her room.
Mum is in quarantine still, so the agreement was that I should try to spend the time in Mum’s room ‘as much as possible’. I went to the lounge area where Mum was sitting and was greeted with a lovely smile. Despite not having a shower she was dressed ok and her hair was brushed. Anyway I said to Mum shall we go and you can show me your room and she happily led me off to it. The Carer brought mum a coffee and biscuits and me a juice carton (not allowed coffee/tea) . mum sat in her chair and I sat on her bed. We had a few tears but we had lots of smiles and a few laughs. She mainly talked nonsense but occasionally she would add in a questions or make a statement with complete clarity. I mentioned a lovely holiday we had in South Africa and she started talking about the giraffes we had seen (her favourite animal on the whole safari)
I was also able to see if the new trousers I had taken in for her earlier in the week fitted (no they didn’t but I have a friend who will alter them) I also managed to grab another pair of trousers that had a little split on the side which I can now mend. I can then take them back in on Saturday although they will go back round the home’s laundry before arriving back to Mum.
Towards the end of the 2 hours Mum was starting to yawn so it was a good time to leave and she was not distressed that I was leaving. For me the time flew, as we were in an environment where we could talk properly and I could show her photos on my phone which she could see with no screen in the way.
So all in all a very good visit.
I also saw the Manager as I was leaving and said what a difference that visit had made to both me and Mum and explained why. He did appreciate the feedback. The other good news from the relatives meeting on Tue was that this interim Manager is now staying permanently. I think this is a real positive. His statement is ‘ I want this to be a home I would be happy to put my Dad in’ and he seems to be aiming for this. Obviously he is restricted by head office but he does seem genuine and communications are far better now which makes a big difference.
I hope all on here with relatives in Care Homes can get these longer indoor visits as essential Carers as it certainly made a difference today. Although I am realistic enough to know that not all visits will be as good as today’s but I will remember the smiles today

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sounds like things are getting better at the home and the new manager should improve things even more. Good you could spend the time in your mum’s room and that she was happy most of the time.
Things seemed so much more relaxed at mum’s home today so it does seems that at long last a corner is being turned.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I do so hope so @Sarasa. The corner needs to come quickly now (but safely)
The Home has prioritised those relatives needing more support which are mainly those residents with dementia but I really do feel for some of the other relatives. One other relative i know well used to go in every day to see her Mum and play a game of scrabble and I know she is really upset that at the moment she can’t have essential care giver status although logically she understands the criteria as does her Mum.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
These posts ring so true for me. It’s scary.
Mum has changed her diet in a lot of ways:
* she only eats ham sandwiches for lunch, no variety any more
* she has decided mashed potatoes are inedible but will eat roast potatoes
* after 70 years of not touching yoghurts, she now has at least one every day
* all her life she’s had cereal for breakfast,now it’s only toast
and I’m sure a few others which I’ve not even noticed.

it’s scary how Alzheimer’s seems to affect every part of who someone is.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Welcome to this site @Cazcaz. I hope you are not awake at 3.41 due to stress/worry.
Mum was the same with regards to breakfast. Cereal everyday but since moving into the Care Home she now only eats toast even though they have cereals she likes

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i like reading about your visits and this visit was good as you didnt feel rushed into getting it all in in such a short period of time. makes it more relaxed. hopefully next visit will be a good one

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
That does sound a good visit - a nice long one too! Any visit with laughs and smiles is a good one. Nice to read such a positive post @Bikerbeth . I hope your next visit is a good one.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
So pleased that you had such a lovely visit @Bikerbeth . It's good to hear that the new manager wants to create a home he would be happy for his own patent to stay in. All sounding very positive.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you all. Next instalment soon @jennifer1967 as I am heading for another visit tomorrow. First challenge will be accessing the building, as getting through on the phone is problematic as they don’t have anyone in the reception area so getting the door answered will be interesting. However I will succeed. I guess I can always take my own thermometer to do my own temperature check ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you all. Next instalment soon @jennifer1967 as I am heading for another visit tomorrow. First challenge will be accessing the building, as getting through on the phone is problematic as they don’t have anyone in the reception area so getting the door answered will be interesting. However I will succeed. I guess I can always take my own thermometer to do my own temperature check ?
hope you have a good visit and im looking forward to reading it

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I have just read your thread and have only a very tiny understanding of what you are going through. I am so sorry I have no idea or help for you but just wanted to send you some hugs ???

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So after ringing the doorbell 3 times I rang the ground floor nurses station from my mobile and fortunately one of the kitchen staff picked up the phone and then came and let me in. Fortunately she knows me from when I visited pre COVID. Temperature taken, signed all the paperwork, hand gel, apron, mask more hand gel, gloves and into the quarantine area I go. Nice agency Carer sees me (she is just in the lounge) and calls to Mum ‘B is here to see you’ Happy Mum comes walking down the corridor and we meet outside her room. She goes to give me a hug but I saw unfortunately that is not allowed but we can hold hands and she seems happy with that. Carer tells me that Mum had decided she wanted to stay in her pj’s and cardi and then heads off to get coffees for us (only one other person in quarantine) and me and Mum sit in her room and start chatting nonsense. Carer pops back with coffee. Mum tells me she is a bit cold so I say lets swap the cardi for a nice warm jumper and I manage to change the pj top for a clean tea shirt at the same time. Thinking I am on a good run I suggest some warmer trousers (picking out a pair I know she really like) and some socks. I am not very good at this changing and dressing lark and struggle getting her sock on. I tell her I should have had some children to practice on as they are more flexible and she laughs. I also tell I will be glad when she has her cast removed so she can do it herself (need to find out if she still can or not) So Mum now in clothes, although not showered, so feeling well pleased with myself (I am just not a naturally caring person and coming from a non touchy/huggy family I struggle with this stuff)
I took in a ‘reminiscing’ newspaper (duly quarantined and sanitised at home) and we had a look at that together which kept her attention for a while and we joked about her hair looking like Einstein’s and hopefully that the hairdresser would be allowed in soon.
I asked her if I should help her brush her hair as it was a bit messy from when ‘we’ had put her jumper on. She said yes please so after finding the ‘sacred hiding’ place of the hair brush we/I started brushing it only to find that somehow she had toothpaste in her hair. Not very noticeable being the same colour as her hair. Thank goodness for PPE and the gloves - they held the water nicely so I could get it onto Mum’s hair to get the toothpaste out. Mum was not particularly happy at this point as she is worried I am going to get her face wet (if only, as it could have done with a wash too) I stop whilst I am ahead - dry the hair and finish brushing it. So the 2 hours are up and I let the Carer know I am leaving as I take Mum back up to the lounge. Carer had some activities for Mum to do as well this afternoon so she will probably be worn out this evening. Mind you Mum did tell me in one of her moments of clarity that the Carer talks to much and she wished she would ‘shut up’ sometimes. PPE removed and disposed off appropriately but then I found the door I am meant to exit from was locked so I ‘snook’ out the entrance- just hope they don’t watch the CCTV later.
another good visit and the seed potatoes are planted in my veg plot this afternoon. So I think an early night for me too.

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
It was back to the hospital this morning with Mum. Mum was in a reasonable mood. OH dropped us off outside and we headed up to the fracture clinic where we sat for a few minutes before been taken into the room for the cast to be removed. It was the same lady who put it on and she remembered Mum which was good. I asked her to explain to Mum exactly what was going to happen and confirm that it would be noisy. (Mum seems to be very noise sensitive). Mum was fine as she did the first cut down but was getting very agitated when her arm was turned over to cut down the other side. Poor Mum was sobbing like a small child when she got to the cut to allow the thumb to come out. Fortunately she did keep her arm still which is what I was worried about.
Then we headed down to X-ray. Fortunately again we did not have a long wait and the radiologist was excellent and showed Mum where to position her arm. He took about 7 X-rays and towards the end Mum was going ‘ye gads’ how much more and starting to cry again.
Crying stopped as soon as the X-rays stopped so I can only guess that she does not really understand what is happening and was frightened by it all especially as obviously I could not stay with her when they were doing the X-rays. What was good was that the radiologist asked her, her date of birth and she correctly gave date, month and year whereas normally she struggles with the year now.
Back upstairs to the fracture clinic. Fortunately a man in the next seat to Mum decided to chat to us about him falling of a ladder and breaking his ankle and showing photos to Mum of a spider bite he had on his leg whilst on holiday in Spain. Mum appeared interested and as he didn’t let her get a word in I am sure he was not the wiser of Mum’s dementia.
Went into the rude consultant from last time and he pronounced that Mum’s wrist was healed and she was discharged. No physio either.
So 14 days from tomorrow (fingers crossed) she will be out of quarantine.
Unfortunately a friend who was in quarantine with her was taken back into hospital and the other lady in that section is bedridden. When I went in for the PCR and the LFT tests so that I can go in this week the receptionist had said Mum had been banging on the door trying to get into the reception earlier and she does has done it on a few occasions.
Hopefully now I have ECG status and can go in more frequently it will help. Although this week I cant go in until Thursday and that is when they are going to try and give her her 2nd jab. Good that I can be with her this time. Bad that they are coming in at 9.15am. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats good news @Bikerbeth about the caste and quarantine nearly done. you visit was good as well letting you dress your mum. you must have pick a good day. maybe because you are closer to her has made the difference

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132