Sugar in her coffee

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Yes I think you are both right. Mum was always more sociable than my Dad which is why I thought she would settle in better than she has. But I guess the 20 years on her own made her like her own space and her own company. She never listened to the radio or had it on in the background and did not watch a lot of t.v.
yes we have a nice long weekend away in Isle of Wight. Thank you.
Yes Mum’s appointment is tomorrow afternoon so I have moved my weekly visit to Tue a.m. (I felt a ‘need’ to see her) so I will get to see her twice. Mind you a spoke to Mum on Saturday pm and although the sentences made sense the whole was a lot of rubbish :(
Yes @Woo2 my new ‘toy’ is being collected on Thursday :)

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
0D9C0395-5236-42D4-8678-572A706FE8C2.jpeg
98E1C816-9C0A-4239-A5DD-54CC0B81438F.jpeg
The first was early evening and the second was this morning about 7.30am

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Looks lovely , weather played ball . Glad you had a nice time away ? Look forward to seeing pics on Thursday evening then:) . Can never quite predict our PWD’s reaction, just to keep us on our toes. Wishing you a speedy successful trip to hospital tom .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So Mum was brilliant again for the hospital appointment despite it being an afternoon one. I know it sound like I am talking about a child but I was so proud. She was more confused than when we went to the morning one but she was happy to sit in the back of the car with me and have a ‘chat’. I did say that we had come to take her to the hospital again to check her finger if that was ok with her and she said yes. I then mentioned it again when we were half way there. We arrived 30 mins early and I said to Mum that we might have a bit of a wait. Mum said she might need the toilet soon but was ok for now. 5 mins later she said she needed the loo so I went to ask the receptionist to ask where the nearest one was and tell her Mum needed to go before her appointment. Just got Mum stood up to go when nurse calls her name out. Lovely nurse let Mum use the staff only toilet. Lesson learnt : find toilet at first mention. I also suspect that this is a deterioration in her condition.
Anyway we saw same Dr as last week and he confirmed it was still good and no infection. Mum just said it was ‘tender’ but it was red raw. Mum needs bandage changing every 3 days and it must be kept dry. It could take 5 or 6 weeks to heal completely. I do worry about whether they will change the dressings as specified especially if Mum gets agitated or stroppy when they try. I would hate it to get infected again. Journey back was uneventful but she was upset that I could not come in and stop for a cup of tea and cake.
I went to see her this morning for a window visit in the quarantine lounge. It ended up being very brief as Mum said she was cold despite long sleeved top, thick cardigan and 2 blankets. The lovely cleaner even went to Mum's room and got her some woolly socks and put them on for her (as she was not wearing any - another conversation with senior Carer). I think I have found another reason why Mum likes it in the quarantine area - she sits and watches the comings and goings in the car park and outside on the road. When she was in her bungalow she sat watching the people passing by outside. Cleaner said as soon as Mum saw my car She told cleaner I was coming to visit her.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That sounds like a good hospital visit. I hope the home remember to change the dressing. Shame she can't stay in the quarantine area if she likes it.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Glad the hospital trip went ok and how nice of them to let mum use staff toilet . Her poor finger sounds so sore , I hope like you that they dress and care for it as they should . People watching is quite fun .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Fingers crossed they CH keep on top of her dressing ? So glad it went well at hospital and your visit today.
I know what you mean when say you felt proud, I remember telling my sister about mum doing really well once and sis saying you sound like a proud parent, I wasn't a parent, though sometimes feels like it doesn't, it but I was proud, and relieved.
The cleaner sounds nice and on the ball. Lovely your mum was pleased to spot your car and say you were coming to visit:)

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
That sounds like a good hospital visit. I hope the home remember to change the dressing. Shame she can't stay in the quarantine area if she likes it.
Well she does have an appointment for her eye operation In mid Oct which they said they do not know if Mum will be suitable until she gets there.
what happened about your Mum’s eyes @annielou or did it get overtaken by other events.
Yes I like a bit of people watching too @Woo2

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
The city hospital said (as expected) that the macular hole in mums left eye was quite old and so chances of improvement were quite low. As she manages with it and her other eye compensates and op requires quite a long recovery decided not to do it so city hospital discharged mum. She's still under local town one though and this week she got letter for next check up. It's not for few weeks so sis and I have decided to wait till closer to it and see what restrictions are before deciding if to postpone it for a bit as don't really want mum to have to go back in quarantine if she has to after appointment.x
Is it same op your mum is being seen about?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
No @annielou it is different. Basically a clear membrane on the back of the artificial lens put in for the cataract surgery has gone a bit cloudy. It involves a 2 minute laser treatment.
good news the hairdresser went back into the home with full PPE but the bad news is Mum did not get one because of quarantine (I think) as she was not on ant of the FB photos. I will check tomorrow

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Ah yes think I've heard about that. Shame your mum missed hairdresser, bet because of quarantine I hope hairdresser goes back again after mums out of quarantine and she can have hers done ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you all especially as the phone call to Mum was not particularly good. Nothing horrendous but just the off hand time she used as ‘I had not been over to take her to the shops as I had promised and let her down’. I tried to say that I had to work but that just let to ‘maybe you could come at the weekend if you are not too busy’. I know it’s not real Mum but makes me sad that she is hurt because she thinks I don’t want to see her.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Awww ? hugs x things like that are always so sad. Hopefully your mum will have forgotten what she was thinking not long after though it still leaves you feeling sad ???

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Pleased to see you got your new bike.

Life a bit busy here so not been commenting much.

I wonder if the phonecall is linked to your mum seeing quite a bit of you with hospital trips and now missing you.

Did you follow up the painkillers? I can't believe they wouldn't give them - just not right and you want to have something in a plan for another time even if she doesn't need them anymore now.

My mum's flat is right above the carpark and my mum went through a phase of enjoying people watching - she's not upto that now I don't think.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I agree @jugglingmum , she had a short period of seeing you a bit , it’s very hard , worse for you as you think about it where as Mum will not view it in quite the same way . Take care ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you @jugglingmum and @Woo2 - an outside perspective is always useful and I had not thought of the fact that I had seen her a lot lately.
Rain forecast for Monday so the window visit will not be brilliant but I am ‘grateful’ that I can see Mum unlike many others.
I do need to follow up on the pain relief. Manager was away last week. I had asked Mum if her finger hurt in several ways and got a consistent No fortunately. As you said though going forward a plan needs to be in place.

Last edited: