Sugar in her coffee

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Sounds like a good chat apart from her being a bit off with you. I hope next time you ring she is over whatever it was. It's lovely that receptionist and your mum get on so well and receptionist makes extra effort to find mum. Glad to hear the puppy hadn't gone missing and was safe in the drawer.
I hope your OH is seen soon and finds out what is causing problems ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Good to hear oh had blood tests and can maybe start to get to the bottom of it soon ?

How nice of receptionist , there are some kind people that will go over and above , glad puppy is safe and warm:).

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
My mum started hugging me when i arrived and left her house - she was never a huggy person previously!

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Went to Mum’s bungalow to get rid of the worst of the weeds and also give estate agent access. The clay soil in Mum’s garden is so bad (despite it being dug over and compost etc added) that I had to water the weeds to get them out :rolleyes:
Whilst I was there I got a phone call from CH - was it ok if they tested Mum so I said Yes. All staff and residents were being tested so I guess a mobile unit was being used.
I later got a text from brother asking me to ring Mum as she had been told I was dead. He had not been able to convince her otherwise. So I rang and spoke to Mum but to be honest she was all over the place. Even when I told her I was fine she said she was not sure I was me as she could not see me on the phone - (I thought of you @annielou) she sounded very suspicious so maybe a UTI on the way again. She wanted me to send a card (photo? ) to prove I was who I said I was on the phone. It could also be a bit of manipulation so I go and visit. We will see what happens when I ring tomorrow. I will see if I can have another window visit next week.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh that is difficult to hear @Bikerbeth , hopefully that thought will pass quickly and not leave her disturbed .
The weed removal sounds fun ! Hubby strimmed Mums when we sold her bungalow , the clearing of the actual place wasn’t so bad but then I have most of it in my loft ! It took me ages to box up as I would find something and it invoked memories . Hope you can get it sold /rented quickly and smoothly . We looked at renting as we really wanted to be able to keep the bungalow but it ultimately was more hassle with tax returns and rewiring/ safety certificates etc so we sold it . Hope mr @Bikerbeth is feeling better ?

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Not a good call yesterday, thats such a shame as last few have been bit better. Not nice that your mum thought you were dead and wasn’t sure it was you on the phone ? I hope todays is better when you call and hope you get to do another visit soon too ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I know I am not the first and I won’t be the last but today hurt. Today is my birthday and Mum is totally unaware. Last year she managed to write me a card and remember the date within a few days. So feeling rather sad? however I am glad I kept the card from last year.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Happy Birthday @Bikerbeth. I feel a bit the same. My wrote a card for me last year weeks before my actual birthday, but by the time my birthday had arrived she'd totally forgotten it. She'd been struggling for a couple of years before that with trying to remember my brother's birthday, and now she obviously doesn't remember mine at all either.
I hope you managed to have a good day despite the lockdown. Mine was three weeks ago and we should have been going to my favourite local restaurant. We managed a good time at home instead.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Happy Birthday ????? @Bikerbeth, yep can relate to that , last year it was 8 weeks after dad died and mum was completely unaware , hubby got her a card but he didn't know to help her and she didn’t write anything in it,sat home all day with her looking perplexed. This year will be much the same except no card from her as I don’t want to put her under pressure. Sending a big birthday hug?.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Aww big hugs ?? @Bikerbeth that is sad. I’m sure your mum would be sorry if she knew. Blooming dementia ?? its a pain in the bum and the heart x
My mum kept forgetting about my birthday in lead up to it last year and on day we were supposed be going out for day but mum was mixed up about why, thought she had a tummy upset, so we left after half hour, and it all went even more wrong after that and it turned into a horrid day. I had to remind her of my sisters birthday earlier this year and she doesn’t seem to have any idea mine is next month. I’m thinking of leaving it that way and hoping she doesn’t realise.
Its also a strange time to have birthdays with lockdown too isn’t it.so more hugs for that too ?? I hope OH was feeling bit better and you had some good times today ?
Best birthday wishes from me ????? and virtual cake, cocktail, flowers and a virtual bike for bikerbeth

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Happy birthday, sorry your mum forgot.

My mum isn't really able to understand the date now so hasn't remembered my birthday for a couple of years. I think I was aware she had got to that point so it didn't bother me too much.

I hope you managed an OK day despite lockdown.

Violeta

May 31, 2020
Happy birthday @Bikerbeth ? I´m sorry you felt sad that your mum didn´t remember. It is hard for sure. My mum hasn´t remembered my nor anyone else´s birthday on her own for a good couple of years now and when she had a lovely home carer, D, she was the one who used to organise cards and even presents for my little boy - a lovely lady.

Anyway, going back to change of habits, preferences etc. My mum´s been vegetarian for 30 years but one of the tale tell signs of her illness was her eating some chilli con carne that my dad had made in favour of her own veggie dish. And the care home tell me that she regularly eats ham salad sandwiches for lunch there ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you all for your replies. I think it hurt on the basis that it showed how much further Mum has declined rather than sad for me if that makes sense.
I had a lovely long but hot walk, home made by OH banana cake, some gardening which I wanted to do and then a takeaway ‘Sunday Roast with the trimmings’

that is quite a dietary change @Violeta. I like a nice chilli but I will miss the ham salad!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sounds like you had a nice day ,banana cake and roast sound yum :p. It is like a reminder of just how far they have deteriorated for sure, I remember reading Mums cards and almost yearly seeing the spelling mistakes and then the scrawly writing and then missing words , it is painful . Glad you had an ok day though .? X

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Had to go earlier but I did want to share something non Alzheimers that has been making the residents of our village smile. A mother and her 2 children have been putting a teddie display outside their house every day. Each day is a different theme- so teddies at the beach, window cleaning teddies etc. She decided with the schools going back today that today was the finale and she said any teddie in the village could participate ( appropriate measures being taken to ensure all are kept safe). . This was the result. Sorry not the best photo
153C0CC4-54EE-4B44-B3D0-6E8F6B359F4B.jpeg

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I know I am not the first and I won’t be the last but today hurt. Today is my birthday and Mum is totally unaware. Last year she managed to write me a card and remember the date within a few days. So feeling rather sad? however I am glad I kept the card from last year.
A happy belated birthday! Dad stopped remembering anyone's birthday a few years ago, I remember the sting of it, but it does fade, I promise. Years ago when dad used to mix up what actual day my birthday was, he would say 'Well, I was there when you were born!'

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonyati