Sugar in her coffee

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Yep an ok day here thank you ? No need for alcohol prop for last 2 days so that’s an improvement. I’m not an alcoholic honestly ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So Friday was a good call with mum happily chattering away but nothing that made sense. No distress so I just let her talk. Brother sent me a text on Saturday to say he had spoken to Mum who had told him I was going abroad, that I had left some old cards which she had read to him and was worried about a note - his text had lots of ? in it. I thought welcome to my world.
with it being the bank holiday I guess the CH was short of staff as it took until 2.30pm to speak to Mum today Funny she remembered about the imaginary ‘coach accident she told me all about last Wednesday’ as Today she told me that she was in a hospital in Stoke on Trent today having seen the Dr but that she would have to go soon as she was waiting for the taxi to take her home. No mention of the Singer that had come and performed outside on the The Terrace for all the residents. On the video some of the others are up dancing or clapping their hands but Mum is just sat there with her arms folded tight.
had a phone call from her neighbour saying a roof tile had come off Mum’s bungalow in the windy weather. OH is poorly again with a stomach issue he had earlier in the year - at the time he had a scan and it was all clear and they were going to do further blood test etc but all stopped due to Covid 19
So not an awful weekend but not the best.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sorry to hear about oh, hope he feels better soon ? maybe the gp would be able to arrange a blood test soon . Glad your chat with mum was ok ish . How are your veg doing ? Ours have gone mad the last few days , potato’s are just coming in to flower . Just been out on a snail and homeless slug hunt ... found about 10 ! Been launched in to wild area at the end of the garden . Hope a better week for you both .? X

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh dear sorry you're weekend has been bad @Bikerbeth ? Sounds like mum has had very mixed up few days but good she wasn't distressed. Its odd how they can remember a mixed up thing that didn't happen and hold on to that better than something that actually did, my mum does it and it amazes me.
The wind was dreadful at weekend, what a pain about mums roof, I hope getting someone out to look at it at moment won't be too much of a pain and there's not further damage. It's defo something you could do without.
Also hope hubbys stomach improves quickly ? Have you been in touch with gp see if anywhere will do still do his blood tests at moment? Its such a pain that more or less everything else has been stopped because of virus. I keep hoping things will start up again where health service is concerned as things can't keep being postponed for ever can they. I hope things improve ?and ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
OH going to contact GP today and see what they say.
@Woo2 My spuds are doing well but not at flower stage yet - we planted earlier and mid. I have surrounded my broccoli with copper pipe which is meant to deter slugs and we had some lying around. Constant battle with aphids on gooseberries and strawberries.
Thanks @annielou - as you say it is funny how PWD can remember their false memories in detail better than their actual one.
? To you both

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I have tried copper , got egg shell round the perimeter and I saw a snail crawling across it the other night :mad: Poured coffee grounds down last night , something has worked as there has been no nibbling for a couple of days . We was out there until midnight last night and collected umpteen homeless snails and 2 snails ?. X

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I have tried copper , got egg shell round the perimeter and I saw a snail crawling across it the other night :mad: Poured coffee grounds down last night , something has worked as there has been no nibbling for a couple of days . We was out there until midnight last night and collected umpteen homeless snails and 2 snails ?. X
That is dedication......:D

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Your mum's confabulations are wonderful @Bikerbeth. Isn't the brain an amazing and confusing thing. Not so good when she thinks you've gone abroad though.
My garden (well small paved back yard) is mainly ornamental. There is a very old fashioned green grocers near here, that has just re-opened selling plants, and I risked buying a lupin, never having had luck with them as they always get eaten. So far so good. What was interesting is that the owner is in his nineties and has dementia. His daughter who was doing the running of the place thought it was good for him to have something to do, and hoped that being outdoors and using social distancing would mean he (and her) would stay safe.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Your mum's confabulations are wonderful @Bikerbeth. Isn't the brain an amazing and confusing thing. Not so good when she thinks you've gone abroad though.
My garden (well small paved back yard) is mainly ornamental. There is a very old fashioned green grocers near here, that has just re-opened selling plants, and I risked buying a lupin, never having had luck with them as they always get eaten. So far so good. What was interesting is that the owner is in his nineties and has dementia. His daughter who was doing the running of the place thought it was good for him to have something to do, and hoped that being outdoors and using social distancing would mean he (and her) would stay safe.
I didn’t know all this as it’s only this year being home I have got in to gardening , bought 3 hosta’s and Lupin’s , have cabbage, lettuces , broccoli , sprouts etc growing , all fodder for the garden critters , so far so good . They did attack 1 hosta so promptly moved it farther from vegetation and smothered it in eggshell and a pot with no rim, it’s recovered ok . I found a frog in the garden yesterday , hoped he would stay and eat them pesky things .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
@Woo2. We created veg beds last year and planted spuds and onions, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb and gooseberries. Spuds and onions did well. About 20 each of strawberries and raspberries. Birds got the gooseberries when we were away and it said not to pick rhubarb Year 1. So pretty much beginners at this. We did however try and reorganise down the bottom of the garden and disturbed 2 toads but hopefully like they will like their new toad house under the water butts.
Will try and post a photo below as keeps duplicating here

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
63463AA0-AC9F-4C99-B45E-C200A9E6AD25.jpeg

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
That sounds a lovely idea. I hope it works out for them. Good luck with the lupin.
I do wonder where Mum does get her tales from. She was always a very practical person and not really creative. If she is not distressed by them I have just decided to go along with whatever she is chattering about. i know sometimes they let her sit with the receptionist at the desk. I will then get comments based on notes on the desk. So the other day I rang and my name and number were written down but just above it I am guessing that ‘someone’ had left as it said ‘permanently gone’. So when Mum was talking to me from the reception desk she said she was surprised I was on the phone as her note said I was Permanently Gone. So actually gone abroad might be better :rolleyes:. The brain is indeed an amazing and confusing organ

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
When we lived in our previous house, we had a bigger garden with a pond. It was also near a park with a large lake. One day my husband opened the door to a couple of small girls that lived nearby. They had a bucket of toadlets and were trying to sell them for 5p a pop. My husband bought them all for £5.00, and we had useful(ish) toads in the garden ever afterwards, although never that many. When he sold the house the new owner had a wobble about the pond as her daughter had a phobia about frogs. I could honestly say I'd never seen a frog, I just didn't mention toads.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
When we lived in our previous house, we had a bigger garden with a pond. It was also near a park with a large lake. One day my husband opened the door to a couple of small girls that lived nearby. They had a bucket of toadlets and were trying to sell them for 5p a pop. My husband bought them all for £5.00, and we had useful(ish) toads in the garden ever afterwards, although never that many. When he sold the house the new owner had a wobble about the pond as her daughter had a phobia about frogs. I could honestly say I'd never seen a frog, I just didn't mention toads.
:D

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I rang the CH up today and spoke to the part time young receptionist. She has always liked my Mum and Mum seems to like her too. She told me when she is working and she can, she always finds my Mum and they get a coffee from the ‘cafe bit’ behind reception and then they have a natter together. Mum of course likes this because then she thinks she is working.
Mum said she had enjoyed the singer they had the other day and he was very good. He stands in the garden and the residents remain inside. From the photo I saw though you would never had known she had enjoyed the performance as her arms were crossed and no sign of a smile. She was a bit off with me today (not sure if it is because I have not visited and she thinks I don’t want to see her) but we had a short 10 minute natter and she did mention ‘puppy’ had gone missing. As the call finished Mum asked me if I wanted to speak to my friend (receptionist) so I said Yes please and asked receptionist if she could have a look for the puppy. She really is lovely as she went and had a look and rang me back later to say ‘puppy’ was safe and snuggled up in Mum’s clothes drawer.
OH had chat with Dr - been sent for blood tests but could possibly be gall stones.
Had a busy day doing lots of odds and ends.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher