Sugar in her coffee

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Glad you had a better conversation today ? , isn’t it frustrating that they don’t make it abundantly clear it needs a special battery . Hope mum likes it , and all ok at her place tom.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Nice to read you had a better call with your mum today x Even with the talk about trips out she sounds a little bit more relaxed and with it today. Hope you have a good trip over to mums house and everything is ok x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Glad you had a better call, and that your mum did remember that other people had called when prompted.
I hope the visit to her house goes well. I haven't been anywhere further than were I can walk to since the 14th March. I'm getting to know my local area really well.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thankfully all was good at Mum’s bungalow. Inside was a bit dusty and the garden covered in weeds but I will go back in a fortnight, meet an estate agent and spend the day tidying the garden.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Good everything was Ok. I found sorting out mum's flat very odd. It's not quite like she had died, but I was sorting out all her things as though she had. Hope the estate agent's visits are positive. I think bungalows are always popular.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Good everything was Ok. I found sorting out mum's flat very odd. It's not quite like she had died, but I was sorting out all her things as though she had. Hope the estate agent's visits are positive. I think bungalows are always popular.
It is indeed strange @Sarasa. I think I am now at the point where I know what is to keep, charity shop or throw but stuck because brother needs to be involved. To be honest I would prefer to sell, do the necessary with the contents so it would end that stage. Made harder as he would like to rent it out and thinks that might be feasible with top up from Mum’s savings to pay CH fees but forgets then who has the additional organisation.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I can't remember if you've gone through the issues with renting out but make sure you do your sums. There are many threads on here re renting and the general opinion is unless you are experienced at it it often isn't a good idea.

The net income from renting is taxable. There are costs such as buildings insurance annual gas check the inevitable repairs at change of tenancy to consider.

I assume you are asking estate agents about rental and sale figures.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I can't remember if you've gone through the issues with renting out but make sure you do your sums. There are many threads on here re renting and the general opinion is unless you are experienced at it it often isn't a good idea.

The net income from renting is taxable. There are costs such as buildings insurance annual gas check the inevitable repairs at change of tenancy to consider.

I assume you are asking estate agents about rental and sale figures.
Thanks @jugglingmum for the caution. I have rented out another house previously (long story) and for this reason I really do not want to rent out Mum’s bungalow.I gave my brother a long list of potential pit falls even when fully managed and why I would prefer not to rent. He however wants to ‘check’ the numbers out and of course only sees the return on it vs putting it into an investments fund. I have made it clear that if that is the route he wants to go then he can deal with it including getting all the accounts together and then I will go through the numbers with him and the accountant.
Maybe he will listen to me for once.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Never added a photo so I thought I would try to add some photos I took on our walk today.
I did not know what the blue flowers were until I did a bit of searching and found it was flax
8FDE1C7C-E065-468A-9B0A-74A4CE289BD8.jpeg
77A483F0-3D88-4423-93BC-94133DF71B81.jpeg

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Well done on adding a photo

I've seen flax on and off for a while whilst out cycling. Think it was expected to replace oil seed rape but don't think I've seen it for a while, maybe cheshire climate isn't the right one for it.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Felt a bit bad I did not speak to Mum for 3 days but it now appears if the activity coordinator cannot get hold of brother she rings me instead on his days. Today and yesterday she was muddled but generally o.k. She seemed pleased when I said I could come and see her through the window tomorrow. However typically she would say yes I understand you have to be outside and then the next minute she will say it will be nice to go for a walk up the road together. It will work out though as Mum did complain yesterday that the keys to the door that goes into the garden from her room had been removed. (Deliberate move to ensure she doesn’t come out) She also complained about them fixing the roof when she was in bed trying to sleep so I am not sure what that was all about.
Anyway feeling lucky that I will see her tomorrow when so many people can’t See their loved ones

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Had a lovely visit with Mum through the window. She did say she was a little concerned as the Dr had not been back to see her since she ended up in a car accident last week in Dudley, Birmingham which was not her fault. She had apparently broken both her legs but still had a long wait from teatime until 10.30pm until she was seen. She showed me her knee and said I would easily see how swollen it was (Mum has arthritis in her knee which has probably got worse as she is not walking as much)
Mum said she was glad I had come as she really didn’t like the biscuits they had there and perhaps we could pop to the shop next door to get some. I said it is ok I have brought you some fruity flapjack biscuits and choc/ginger biscuits as I know you like them. I also took her some Belgium buns in a cellophane wrapper and chocolates. Fortunately at that moment the Carer who took them at the front door brought them in (having wiped them down) And Mum had a big smile on her face which was so nice to see.
I had also quarantined the ‘toy puppy’ for the last 10 days so they also, having wiped the Outer box, allowed Mum to open it whilst I watched through the window. She looked a bit confused to start with and struggled with the packaging but once she got it open (with some encouragement) the smile went up to her eyes. I was so so pleased. I really do hope she continues to like it and doesn’t throw it at anyone as it does have a weight to it. So Success - hurrah.
Mum did get a little teary as I was saying goodbye (which hurts to see of course) but I promised to ring.
so I must have been there nearly 1.5 hours, she was confused and muddled at times and kept asking about the ‘boys’ and I still can’t work out who she is talking about. She did say she likes this room as she can see the garden and the train but she would like to live in a house with garden which would be more normal for what time she has left. However she was generally ok and cheerful.
So I am feeling lucky and thankful

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh bless that sounds a good visit and your distractions were great. Hope your mum continues to like the dog? Sure she’ll enjoy the biscuits.
Its funny the ideas they have like your mums broken legs isn’t it. Glad she wasn’t distressed by it.
I imagine it’s always a bit sad to say bye, but sounds like a good visit and you left her with lovely presents to enjoy afterwards. Glad you had a good visit x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976