Sugar in her coffee

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think I'd be very tempted to leave a very truthful review of the home @Bikerbeth. There is obviously something a bit awry in the ethos of the place if it is making so many staff ill and unhappy.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I think you could be right @jennifer1967. She was close to her Mum and Dad and that is who she should would want when she is unhappy and scared.
My mum asks for her daddy , believes she is a young child & WW2 is on.
I gave my mum a huge panda from IKEA & that brings great comfort especially as she no longer recognises us anymore
x

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So Mum’s care home have had 3 staff testing positive so closing to visitors but respecting ECG status so I am able to go in. Residents are being encouraged to stay in their rooms but if they have dementia and tend to wander then this was being allowed but supervised so they didn’t wander into other residents rooms.
Mum refused both her flu and COVID booster, despite encouragement, - I think because she was scared and did not understand she just started lashing out. Annoyingly, if they had told me I would have gone and she might have agreed. Both will be rebooked once no new positive tests plus 7 days.
Staff situation has remained poor with a high proportion of agency staff which resulted in them bringing all the dementia residents downstairs again (home still not full as only opened just before COVID) However a new manager started last week so fingers crossed she remains and is effective.
The Home did do a lovely afternoon tea for Mum’s birthday last week with balloons etc and I was allowed in to celebrate with her. I am not really sure if she understood what was really going on but did open her presents and had a lovely smile when they brought her birthday cake out.
On the sadder side I was able to have a lunch with her one day and noticed she has now lost her ability to use a knife and fork. Her reading of words has also declined further even though she has not been able to understand them for about 12 months. However we are able to look through a newspaper or magazine and ‘natter’ about what is in them even if her comments don’t make sense. At least we still have a connection there and she knows me as her daughter again in the most part.
I brought her a soft toy monkey about a month ago which has a cheeky face on it. She appears to find some comfort in it as I often find him in bed with her when she is sleeping.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So Mum’s care home have had 3 staff testing positive so closing to visitors but respecting ECG status so I am able to go in. Residents are being encouraged to stay in their rooms but if they have dementia and tend to wander then this was being allowed but supervised so they didn’t wander into other residents rooms.
Mum refused both her flu and COVID booster, despite encouragement, - I think because she was scared and did not understand she just started lashing out. Annoyingly, if they had told me I would have gone and she might have agreed. Both will be rebooked once no new positive tests plus 7 days.
Staff situation has remained poor with a high proportion of agency staff which resulted in them bringing all the dementia residents downstairs again (home still not full as only opened just before COVID) However a new manager started last week so fingers crossed she remains and is effective.
The Home did do a lovely afternoon tea for Mum’s birthday last week with balloons etc and I was allowed in to celebrate with her. I am not really sure if she understood what was really going on but did open her presents and had a lovely smile when they brought her birthday cake out.
On the sadder side I was able to have a lunch with her one day and noticed she has now lost her ability to use a knife and fork. Her reading of words has also declined further even though she has not been able to understand them for about 12 months. However we are able to look through a newspaper or magazine and ‘natter’ about what is in them even if her comments don’t make sense. At least we still have a connection there and she knows me as her daughter again in the most part.
I brought her a soft toy monkey about a month ago which has a cheeky face on it. She appears to find some comfort in it as I often find him in bed with her when she is sleeping.
its nice to see you back. looking after your mum as much as ever.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
My Dad died 18 years ago and after that if I visited Mum she would use every excuse to get me to stay longer. Now when it gets to 4.30pm she is consistently saying I should leave and go home because ..... my partner will miss me, the traffic will be bad etc etc. I guess she is just tired nowadays
My mum was like that for years before her Alhzeimers diagnosis earlier this year. when it was getting late and i had to drive 30 miles along the motorway to get back home & needing to be up early the next morning for work, she would literally block my way to the front door . I had to be brutally outspoken to the point almost of rudeness to get out of mum's front door.

I don't drive now (had to sell my car last year) so the only grumble I get from Mum is why don't I visit more often and that i should be able to get on a bus to go visit her. Mum doesn't realise that there's several bus changes involved to get to her house plus a long walk up a very steep hill which wouldn't do my angina & heart failure any good; she just doesn't realise.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
its nice to see you back. looking after your mum as much as ever.
Thank you. I am just trying to catch up with everyone. I am sorry to hear you are/have been poorly but pleased to see you are still out on the sc
My mum was like that for years before her Alhzeimers diagnosis earlier this year. when it was getting late and i had to drive 30 miles along the motorway to get back home & needing to be up early the next morning for work, she would literally block my way to the front door . I had to be brutally outspoken to the point almost of rudeness to get out of mum's front door.

I don't drive now (had to sell my car last year) so the only grumble I get from Mum is why don't I visit more often and that i should be able to get on a bus to go visit her. Mum doesn't realise that there's several bus changes involved to get to her house plus a long walk up a very steep hill which wouldn't do my angina & heart failure any good; she just doesn't realise.
another sad characteristic of Alzheimer’s as empathy towards others is lost. It must be hard for you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Good to see you back @bikebeth, but sorry there have been cases of Covid at your mum's home. I hope the new manager sticks at it and things improve, though the birthday party sounds nice.
Hope you can get her to have the flu jab and the covid booster.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Good to see you back @bikebeth, but sorry there have been cases of Covid at your mum's home. I hope the new manager sticks at it and things improve, though the birthday party sounds nice.
Hope you can get her to have the flu jab and the covid booster.
Thank you.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Sometimes you need to share with those that understand.
Today was an excellent day.
Mum was asleep when I arrived at the Care Home and the chiropodist had just arrived (Mum had declined having her feet done on the last 2 visits by the chiropodist so you can imagine what they were like). So whilst the chiropodist went off to see another resident I manage to wake Mum up with the help of some coffee. I then spent 15 mins repetitively mentioning the nice lady coming to sort her feet out.
When the chiropodist arrived I just said to Mum - this is H and she has come to sort out your feet and Mum lay there and totally accepted H doing her toe nails with only 1 threat of ‘I will scream if she does that…….’
Success 1
The Carer came in to do Mum’s personal care so I said to Mum - let’s go and get you showered and then we get our breakfast. Mum frequently refuses a shower as I think she is worried about being scalded. However she seems better if I hold the shower head and she can keep checking the temperature whilst the Carer gets her washed.
Success 2 and she even complained that we did not wash her hair (she usually screams if we wash her hair)
Success 3 - after a nice visit I left her happily looking at a magazine
So that is an excellent day in my books.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Sometimes you need to share with those that understand.
Today was an excellent day.
Mum was asleep when I arrived at the Care Home and the chiropodist had just arrived (Mum had declined having her feet done on the last 2 visits by the chiropodist so you can imagine what they were like). So whilst the chiropodist went off to see another resident I manage to wake Mum up with the help of some coffee. I then spent 15 mins repetitively mentioning the nice lady coming to sort her feet out.
When the chiropodist arrived I just said to Mum - this is H and she has come to sort out your feet and Mum lay there and totally accepted H doing her toe nails with only 1 threat of ‘I will scream if she does that…….’
Success 1
The Carer came in to do Mum’s personal care so I said to Mum - let’s go and get you showered and then we get our breakfast. Mum frequently refuses a shower as I think she is worried about being scalded. However she seems better if I hold the shower head and she can keep checking the temperature whilst the Carer gets her washed.
Success 2 and she even complained that we did not wash her hair (she usually screams if we wash her hair)
Success 3 - after a nice visit I left her happily looking at a magazine
So that is an excellent day in my books.
that is successful day, maybe because you woke her up gently with coffee. it must be your calm way with her.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My mum still has panda 3 plus years now … on the plus side Mum responded to a picture of a robin today . The lines of communication are micro expressions but knowing Mum so well I can still interpret a slight facial movement. Sending you love & strength
x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is probably why Monday was not a good visit as I didn’t really want to go and was a bit impatient with her and she could tell
Yes, mum used to pick up my moods and mirror them too. If I was calm and happy, then she was too, but if I was cross and impatient, then she was. Unfortunately, you cant always control your feelings.
Im glad you had a good day, though.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So glad you had a good visit with your mother., and that she got her feet done and enjoyed the shower.
Is the new manager looking like they are going to stay?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So glad you had a good visit with your mother., and that she got her feet done and enjoyed the shower.
Is the new manager looking like they are going to stay?
I have my fingers crossed as the staff situation is desperate. We do have a relatives meeting next week so will see what is said then. I am sort of suprised I have not seen her where the residents are yet which based on the 6-7 hours I spend there a week I would have thought I would have seen her.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
My mum still has panda 3 plus years now … on the plus side Mum responded to a picture of a robin today . The lines of communication are micro expressions but knowing Mum so well I can still interpret a slight facial movement. Sending you love & strength
x
Thank you but at the moment I am going to send the love and strength back to you as I think your need is far greater especially when you are awake at 4am.
I am glad that you are able to still interpret those slight facial movements as it is at least some form of communication as you say.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Yes, mum used to pick up my moods and mirror them too. If I was calm and happy, then she was too, but if I was cross and impatient, then she was. Unfortunately, you cant always control your feelings.
Im glad you had a good day, though.
Yes you are right there Canary, sometimes with all the good intentions and knowledge of the consequences it is not always possible to put on ‘an act’ of calm and happy. I sometimes feel perhaps on those days I should not go but then having gained ECG status I feel obliged to (especially as others are still unable to visit properly)

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I had so much helpful advise and support on the forum I wanted to say thank you to all of those people who still come on here. Thank you to all those who come on here and support others. For me ‘I had to get away from the forum for a while and I never came back. Christmas 2021 was one of the last that Mum and I managed to have a reasonable one. After a fall in 2022 she was sent to hospital for a scan in case she had a bleed on the brain. I did not want want this for Mum as previously it took them 5 days to scan her (and by that time it would have been too late for them to pick it up). Brother and safe guarding insisted and finally after a week and with sedation she was scanned. Of course it was a total waste of time for everyone as it was far too late again by this time. Hospital visiting was still restricted to one hour every 3 days so Mum seriously declined, had another fall in the hospital and lost 15kilos. The consultant said she could go back to the care home after a week. However it took a further 3 weeks after constant battles to get the hospital to do a care plan that the care home accepted. Mum never really recovered. She never walked again and was never able to eat solid foods. That was possibly the worst time seeing my Mum goes through that pointlessly. It was the time I cried most. Fortunately the consultant added a note on to Mum’s records to state she should not be admitted to hospital again for a suspected bleed on the brain as they would be unable to treat her.
For about 18 months she remained bed bound. She rarely smiled, frequently got frustrated but like me the care home staff loved her for her feistiness,
Thankfully she passed quickly at the end on Nov 7th and I now truly hope her soul is set free.

Thank you once again and I am so glad I found this forum. I wish everyone that they can have their best journey with their relative on this difficult path. I was not the best daughter but I did the best I could.
I wish you a Happy Christmas and the best new year possible