Suddenly more lucid, why?

yan

Jul 27, 2007
Hi.

I don't post on here very often but my Grandad was admitted to a care home for dementia in 2004. Since this he's obviously deteriorated. I can't remember the last time I heard him speak. It must be 6 weeks since I've seen his eyes open and he never reacts to anything or moves. He eats (when he's fed) and sleeps and that's it. He's SO skinny and coughs/chokes often when he's being fed his puréed food.

On Sunday my mum and I went to visit him and he was particularly bad with his choking and coughing. Today we went to see him again and he was propped up in bed, talking to himself (it was gibberish ) and we didn't understand most words but did make a few out. He was also grabbing at thin air and reaching his arms up. My mum and I were astonished, he hasn't been like this for years. He even repeated my name!
Before he dies. I'm kind of hoping it is as his quality of life is so poor.
I can't help think this is the "golden glow" I've heard of before dying?

Has anybody experienced anything like this?
He's been in the late stages for a couple of years. He was choking so bad on Sunday then today he ate his purée fine x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Yan I have no experience of this but would like to welcome you to TP and reassure you that someone will be along who can answer your query,

Best wishes Jeany x

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I have experienced this, yes. Both with my grandfather and my mother. If you wish, you can talk to the staff and doctors caring for your grandad - because people with experience should have more idea how he is.
Sometimes the staff do not like to start these conversations because they do not want to upset you or say the wrong thing, but if you start the conversation - and ask all the questions you want to ask - you should get help.
I asked how long my mother would live (after she stopped eating or drinking anything) and was told they had had residents live just 24 hours and up to 22 days.
The 'golden glow' with my mum and my grandad have left good memories.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
I too have experienced this and so far as the reaching out and grasping is concerned, with my mother it was in response to the hallucinations she was having. The carers also felt that it can be that they are reaching out for reassurance that they are not alone and that it will stop if you sit and gently touch their arm or hold their hand.

Then, despite being in a coma like state for days and not eating and drinking any more she sits up in bed and starts singing We'll meet again with all the hand actions and everything. It was so unexpected that all the staff came running to see what was going on. Then, as quickly as it happened, the moment had passed and a few days later she died peacefully in hospital.

Like Butter suggested speak to the staff about what is happening and by doing so they will feel comfortable with discussing things with you and, I don't know about you, but for us, we preferred having information and the additional support from the carers.

Hope this helps,

Fiona

yan

Jul 27, 2007
Thanks for your replies. He has been eating and drinking normally but just choking a lot but yesterday the choking stopped.

We asked the carers and all they had to day was "yes, he's been like this all day"

yan

Jul 27, 2007
I've called the home today and spoke to his regular carers, they say we've just caught him on a very, very good day and we should make the most of it. I can't explain to them just how different he was, I've NEVER seen him as good as this in two years. I don't think they realize just how good he was.

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Yan, I dont know about the golden glow, but a friend of mine whose mum had dementia for many years. She became poorly about a year ago and upon examination the dr said they thought she could of had a small stroke, however, they found that she was much more lucid after her stroke and called them by their names etc which she had not done for a long time. They put this down to the stroke and felt that the stroke had affected the dementia part of the brain if you like but in a good way, I know it sounds daft and medically impossible, but thats what they thought, Her mum passed away in December and so lasted a whole year in this new lucid state.

yan

Jul 27, 2007
My grandad does suffer from TIA's, I wonder if he has had a stroke x

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
It may be worth checking yan, lots of people have strokes that dont know they`ve had one if its minor etc, I know it seems impossible that a stroke could be a good thing but hey they had no other answer at the time, unless it was just a coincidence.

yan

Jul 27, 2007
While we're on the topic of strokes/TIA's does anybody know if TIA's continue throughout the lifetime?
My grandad had just had his continuing healthcare funding removed and when we've read his assessment they say he HAD TIA's in the 80's. my mum and I thought he had a stroke recently as he's had 2 grand mal seizures which are not normal for him and his face just seems a little different.