Sudden urgency to pee!

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Husband recently diagnosed with ftd. He send suddenly to be needing to pee urgently. He's never had this problem before, I'm sure it's not infection because he has no other symptoms. He's not 'going' more frequently just when he needs to be needs to and I've been asked if he can get into the bathroom when I've been I there! Could this be anything to do with the dementia?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Probably a good idea to have him checked out. He might not empty his bladder fully which needs investigating. OH ended up on some medication.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My MIL had this for many years and it did seem to become the norm as her dementia progressed. She just didn't seem aware of a partially full bladder and was resistant to suggestions that a 'just in case' wee was a good idea when e.g. setting off on a journey. Whereas before she would have gone, as most of us do, because it's sensible to do it, based on experience. With advancing dementia she no longer had memories of past experience to call on. Living in the moment, she didn't need a wee so she didn't need the toilet - end of.

The way it seemed to work was that suddenly she would become aware of a very full bladder and would make a dash for the toilet (if there was a toilet available). Toilet accidents over several years were thus more about not managing regular toileting, rather than physical lack of bladder control. Sadly that also developed in time, as was to be expected, but although she wore protective pads she was still semi-continent at the end of her life, with advanced dementia.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Urgency can be a symptom of an otherwise 'quiet' UTI , take a urine sample to the GP for testing.
It could be other things although if the onset was quick a UTI is quite likely.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The point by @Katrine is a good one as my wife is now like that because of her dementia. Indeed, my wife can't even take a hint if I ask her whether she needs the loo before we leave home, or any other building. I am at the stage when I have to tell her to use the loo at these times.

Always an idea to check for a UTI though.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
OH had urgency, diagnosis diabetes. He wore pads until stabilised, then only on long flights, never needed them, but felt more secure wearing them.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
My husband has type 2 diabetes. This has never been an issue until recently. If it happens again I'll suggest possibility of infection. I am seeing GP myself next week so if he refused idea of taking a sample I'll speak to her about it then.