Sudden Mood Changes

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husbands mood can sometimes change suddenly. We had a nice day out round the shops he was really good, we sat in garden for tea then he started accusding me of saying things. He seemed very annoyed and went in the house. It happens odd days he sometimes gets up like this, He accuses me of all sorts of things then says he never said them. It all started on holiday Malta he was fine until then. He had been diagnosed 4 years with Alzheimer’s Aphasia he can’t speak well now just odd words. I’m not sure how to deal with this talking to him doesn’t work as he doesn’t understand.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It is difficult, isn't it. My wife has the same language problem and has auditory hallucinations on top of that so she sometimes thinks I'm talking to her when I'm sitting in silence. I find it helps to just remember that it's the disease and I know that for the same reason she will forget quickly anyway.

You mention this starting when in Malta. Maybe the change of routine has just caused a temporary upset and things will normalise again. I think routine is important in the confused world of a person with dementia and that loss of the routine can cause issues.

You may have seen it already, however, in case you haven't may I give you a link to a great thread that provides useful advice on communication issues. Just follow this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/