Sudden lack of mobility & sleeping

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum 77 with Alzheimers has been in her care home 2 yrs.
At a moderate/severe stage.
Has been on same meds since March after geritrician review after stint in hospital with UTI, delirium, extreme agitation and agression.
Mum has been good in recent months. Good mobility, no falls.

2.5 weeks ago she had shingles, and was put on anti viral meds. She coped OK and you otherwise would think she was well.
Care home called me yesterday morning.
They noticed Friday she was quite sleepy off and on, but apparently had not been sleeping to well at night.
Saturday morning she was cooperative during cares, but walking and leaning to one side ( Mum has done this before when a bit sleep deprived)
They checked her over for signs of stroke, all her obs were ok.
She ate some breakfast but went to sleep in the lounge lazy boy.
My sister and I went after lunch. Still asleep but after 30 mns woke, smiled at us, acknowledged she was tired.
My sister fed her some lunch, and after a few mouthfuls started to fall asleep again.
Today she is much the same.
Nursing staff change her position every hour and get her up every 2 hrs to toilet her.
She wont weight bear and it takes 2 carers to the toilet, to bed etc.
She hasnt had a fall, not in pain or discomfort. Wakes if you call her name, will tak a little or smile.
Its as if she is suddenly very weak and tired.
Temp is fine, oxygen & pulse stats, and equal strength in arms and legs, but they havent seen her walk unaided since Friday.
GP does his rounds tomorrow.
For now we have asked for Mum to stay at her care home unless a sudden deterioration.
Has anyone else come across similar?

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Has been on same meds since March after geritrician review after stint in hospital with UTI, delirium, extreme agitation and agression.

2.5 weeks ago she had shingles, and was put on anti viral meds. She coped OK and you otherwise would think she was well.
They noticed Friday she was quite sleepy off and on, but apparently had not been sleeping to well at night.
Saturday morning she was cooperative during cares, but walking and leaning to one side ( Mum has done this before when a bit sleep deprived)
My sister and I went after lunch. Still asleep but after 30 mns woke, smiled at us, acknowledged she was tired.
My sister fed her some lunch, and after a few mouthfuls started to fall asleep again.
Nursing staff change her position every hour and get her up every 2 hrs to toilet her.
She hasnt had a fall, not in pain or discomfort. Wakes if you call her name, will tak a little or smile.
Temp is fine, oxygen & pulse stats, and equal strength in arms and legs, but they havent seen her walk unaided since Friday.
For now we have asked for Mum to stay at her care home unless a sudden deterioration.
Hi, my mum has Alzheimer's and has lived in care for 18 months. Mum has periods of time when she is awake and alert although confused about time, family and the usual mixed up thoughts for over 48 hours continuous. She then crashes for days and sleeps so deeply that she is unresponsive however we try and rouse her. There are periods of time when she cannot walk. It's as if her feet are glued to the floor. She falls asleep between mouthfuls of food.Other times she walks sideways and eats sideways and struggles to find her mouth. Then we return to being relatively OK. Still very confused but calm which is much better than when she refuses to do anything like taking medication or eating and drinking and she is distressed and frightened for hours on end calling out her own name and crying even when I am sitting beside her and holding her hand. Every single day gives a different challenge and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I want this to be over. It's so sad and cruel for my lovely mum. I know we aren't alone on this terrible journey but when there is no quality of life, no connection with your surroundings, no ability to understand or take part in a conversation I question who makes the decision that human beings have to endure such torment and cruelty.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
I am completely in agreement with you Yokshire Lass. I'm so sorry you are both going through this tortuous process. Please know you are not alone in feeling this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
I am completely in agreement with you Yokshire Lass. I'm so sorry you are both going through this tortuous process. Please know you are not alone in feeling this way.
Thank you, I have said exactly the same as you. Unfortunately once you have passed the point when you are able to work out what is happening to you it's impossible to do. No wonder so many people who have other terrible terminal illnesses (but have cognition and capacity) make the decision early. They could enjoy (as best as possible) the remainder of their life if they knew they could stay in control of their destiny.This should not be in the hands of others who decide what is best and then abandon the sufferer. It should not be so. xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
We share your feelings exactly. We live in a society that would prosecute a person who kept an animal alive in such a condition of distress. It's simply not right that we treat animals more humanely than people. Take care xxx

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Linbrusco, I hope your mum is alright, she has two very caring daughters by her side, no one could wish for more.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Hi, my mum has Alzheimer's and has lived in care for 18 months. Mum has periods of time when she is awake and alert although confused about time, family and the usual mixed up thoughts for over 48 hours continuous. She then crashes for days and sleeps so deeply that she is unresponsive however we try and rouse her. There are periods of time when she cannot walk. It's as if her feet are glued to the floor. She falls asleep between mouthfuls of food.Other times she walks sideways and eats sideways and struggles to find her mouth. Then we return to being relatively OK. Still very confused but calm which is much better than when she refuses to do anything like taking medication or eating and drinking and she is distressed and frightened for hours on end calling out her own name and crying even when I am sitting beside her and holding her hand. Every single day gives a different challenge and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I want this to be over. It's so sad and cruel for my lovely mum. I know we aren't alone on this terrible journey but when there is no quality of life, no connection with your surroundings, no ability to understand or take part in a conversation I question who makes the decision that human beings have to endure such torment and cruelty.
Yes who does decide Yorkshire lass! It makes me so angry

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
We share your feelings exactly. We live in a society that would prosecute a person who kept an animal alive in such a condition of distress. It's simply not right that we treat animals more humanely than people. Take care xxx
Exactly Norfolk Cherry surely it should be about quality of life not extending the suffering. Our vet has looked after our pets with more compassion.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Day 5.
Mum is much the same.
Now on paracetamol, celebrex ( anti inflammatorie) and codeine if needed. They are arranging an Xray tomorrow of hips & spine & legs.
When awake, talks & responds although little. Has a few mouthfuls of food & fluid.
Cannot mobilise at all even to turn over in bed, apart from moving her legs.
Carers are having to move & turn her every hour and use a hoist to get her in and of bed & lazy boy chair.
As they cannot get a sufficient urine sample ( still moving bowels with laxsol, although lessfrequent)
they have started her also on anti biotics. Her bloods came back fine.
They are hoping the pain releif and antibiotics will work and she will become more mobile. If not they have to move her to hospital level at her care home.
What more could our Public hospital do?
If indeed she has had a stroke, although not showing typical symptoms damage is done!

I have a bad feeling :(

Cazzita

May 12, 2018

This is absolutely heartbreaking! So cruel to have to go through this and it must be a living hell for the PWD at this stage. Awful and inhumane. I totally agree with you and I'm dreading my mum getting to this stage too. Big hugs xxx

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
This is absolutely heartbreaking! So cruel to have to go through this and it must be a living hell for the PWD at this stage. Awful and inhumane. I totally agree with you and I'm dreading my mum getting to this stage too. Big hugs xxx
Thank you Cazzita xxx I look back with fondness at the times when I cared for mum myself before we had the diagnosis. She had Alzheimer's but we didn't officially know. We were out for coffee, shopping in M&S with afternoon tea to follow and doing as much as possible. Later on, again before we had "the label", I bought a wheelchair so we could still manage to get out and about.. I'm so glad I did. There's no stopping the progression and all that it entails so we just have to make the most of the moment. Yesterday at the 1940's Tea Dance at mum's care home she was quite alert and unusually chatty, eating a scone with clotted cream and drinking tea from a china cup. Today when I arrived she was fast asleep and not managed to be woken for her lunch. You just never know. Don't dwell too much on the future Cazzita, we can't change it no matter what we do but we can still love and care and show this with our actions. Thanks again for your reply it really does help xxx

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Thank you Cazzita xxx I look back with fondness at the times when I cared for mum myself before we had the diagnosis. She had Alzheimer's but we didn't officially know. We were out for coffee, shopping in M&S with afternoon tea to follow and doing as much as possible. Later on, again before we had "the label", I bought a wheelchair so we could still manage to get out and about.. I'm so glad I did. There's no stopping the progression and all that it entails so we just have to make the most of the moment. Yesterday at the 1940's Tea Dance at mum's care home she was quite alert and unusually chatty, eating a scone with clotted cream and drinking tea from a china cup. Today when I arrived she was fast asleep and not managed to be woken for her lunch. You just never know. Don't dwell too much on the future Cazzita, we can't change it no matter what we do but we can still love and care and show this with our actions. Thanks again for your reply it really does help xxx

Aw, thank you so much for yours too @YorkshireLass, it really does help and I will try and live in the moment yet I seem obsessed with wanting to know what is going to happen next! I will try not to. Lovely that your mum enjoyed herself at the Tea Dance and yes, take each good moment as you never know, it might be the last. Hugs XX

CAD

May 1, 2015

My husband is still at home with me as his career. He cAnnot walk unaided and shuffles and stumbles when aided , he cannot do anything for himself and is sleeping all the time as well , he has good days and bad . I have noticed he isn’t eating as well . And is having problems going to the toilet . He is on water tablets and sachets to help him open is bowels , is any one at this same stage . But not sure what stage he is at

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
My sympathies @CAD, it's so hard. My mum isn't quite at that stage yet but who knows, she might well be soon. Hopefully, others in the same situation will give you some advice XX