Sudden deterioration

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Hi. My o/h was diagnosed with AD in 2016. He seemed to decline quite gently and in feb 2019 scored 76 on the Addenbrookes ace, so not a massive decline.

Then everything suddenly went wrong. I had to take his car off him in feb because he was suddenly really erratic, he has become psychotic, paranoid, anxious, he paces, itches, he started being picked up miles away from home. I got his urine tested but that was clear.

A psychiatrist has seen him but didn't give any idea what was happening or why.

They did the addenbrookes test again this week. 56 points. He has deteriorated by 20 points in 9 months.

No one will tell me if this is normal, if he loses capacity at this rate how long does he even have left?

I know that no one really knows, has anyone had similar experiences?

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My dad was exactly the same he was being picked up all the time miles from home. He would sneak out at night and people would report him to the police who would bring him home. We couldn’t stop him going out he became aggressive, he had hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. Eventually he became a danger to himself and was sectioned under the mental health act. His decline was rapid but he lived for four years after being sectioned. I don’t think a steep decline necessarily means death is fast approaching but as you say everyone is different. My mum also rapidly declined over a matter of weeks from full independence to full supervision. Xx

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
Hi. My o/h was diagnosed with AD in 2016. He seemed to decline quite gently and in feb 2019 scored 76 on the Addenbrookes ace, so not a massive decline.

Then everything suddenly went wrong. I had to take his car off him in feb because he was suddenly really erratic, he has become psychotic, paranoid, anxious, he paces, itches, he started being picked up miles away from home. I got his urine tested but that was clear.

A psychiatrist has seen him but didn't give any idea what was happening or why.

They did the addenbrookes test again this week. 56 points. He has deteriorated by 20 points in 9 months.

No one will tell me if this is normal, if he loses capacity at this rate how long does he even have left?

I know that no one really knows, has anyone had similar experiences?
My mother was diagnosed in 2016, but I was managing to look after her at home alright. She caught a cold in March and was in hospital for a week, but soon recovered. Mid-October she again caught a cold, fell out of bed and was admitted to hospital again. When returned, she kept falling out of bed and got cellulitis, so she went back in.She was let out again but her mobility was gone and she was hardlt drinking a thing, and only eating a few raspberries, so she went back in. I admitted defeat, and she went on a steep decline, passing away on Saturday. I am not saying it would be like this for you, but yes, things can change overnight. There are no rules.Ask the psychiatrist by all means, but even he may be unable to say.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
My mother was diagnosed in 2016, but I was managing to look after her at home alright. She caught a cold in March and was in hospital for a week, but soon recovered. Mid-October she again caught a cold, fell out of bed and was admitted to hospital again. When returned, she kept falling out of bed and got cellulitis, so she went back in.She was let out again but her mobility was gone and she was hardlt drinking a thing, and only eating a few raspberries, so she went back in. I admitted defeat, and she went on a steep decline, passing away on Saturday. I am not saying it would be like this for you, but yes, things can change overnight. There are no rules.Ask the psychiatrist by all means, but even he may be unable to say.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
I just wish i knew...tbh i would prefer another year to another 10 years but it could be either