Sudden decline, not sure what to do for the best

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
My mum is 82 and has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, diagnosed around 4 years ago, although we believe her memory decline started around 10 years ago.
My dad is her main carer,supported by my sister and I. We both work full time but see them both most days after work.
In the past 6 weeks, mum has declined massively and in the past week left their home twice. She says she is going home and fails to recognise my dad and gets angry and obviously frightened. Today she called me saying would I go and get her to take her home.
I tried talking to her calmly and reassure her but she said she was being held against her will and would call the Police. I jumped in the car and went to see her.
She was aggressive and abusive which is not like her. No UTI and is on increased dose of Citalapram.
My words of reassurance were having no effect and she got her coat and bag and left. She never goes out without someone and would have been too afraid to do so years ago. I followed her and she went unsteadily some distance. Had I not been there dad could not have caught up with her.

Social Services had meeting with Dad and my sister yesterday and says they don't consider her a priority at the moment and we have to wait around six weeks for her to do her report to see if we can get some funded respite. We are concerned that if she wanders and ultimately sectioned we won't have any say in where she ends up.

We seem to have gone from just about coping to wondering what next! Sorry, just a rant really, not sure anyone can offer any advice but all seems so sudden. Thanks for getting this far

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
It won't matter if she is sectioned as to where she ends up, so much as whether she is considered to be self-funding or not. In other words does she have savings more than apprx £23,000? If so SS won't even be interested.
If less than apprx £14,000 SS will get to make decisions as to 'suitable' places, which are prepared to accept their rates.

What is much more worrying about the wandering is that your mother might get lost or injured.
I'm glad you had her checked for a Uti, as that was my first thought.

I do hope you can get some help soon as it seems your mother is at the stage where she could be in danger.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
It won't matter if she is sectioned as to where she ends up, so much as whether she is considered to be self-funding or not. In other words does she have savings more than apprx £23,000? If so SS won't even be interested.
If less than apprx £14,000 SS will get to make decisions as to 'suitable' places, which are prepared to accept their rates.

What is much more worrying about the wandering is that your mother might get lost or injured.
I'm glad you had her checked for a Uti, as that was my first thought.

I do hope you can get some help soon as it seems your mother is at the stage where she could be in danger.

Thanks for your support. Her safety is my main concern as had I not been a few steps behind her today when she left, she would have stepped out in front of a car turning into their street! She has been sun downing for a few months but this sudden change coupled with hallucinations is very worrying. I can think on my feet but dad struggles to come up with a suitable response and while he tries to reassure her, she just don't recognise him and gets confrontational which he finds hard to deal with.
I took her for brain CT yesterday as she looks to have an arm tremor and unsteady gaite. 40 plus years ago she had a benign brain tumour removed so Doctors are assessing if she has another. Dad is not in great health so we have to consider his well-being too. Sadly he's old school and thinker should keep her home. We have visit planned on Monday with Community Psychiatrist so we shall see what comes of this. Appreciate your response.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is it possible the increase in medication has started all this. Gp and I have come to the conclusion that we cannot really increase mum's anti depressant any more, it seems to make her sundowning worse, or increases her anxiety levels. Only a thought, coming from personal experience.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Is it possible the increase in medication has started all this. Gp and I have come to the conclusion that we cannot really increase mum's anti depressant any more, it seems to make her sundowning worse, or increases her anxiety levels. Only a thought, coming from personal experience.

Good point Tin. My mother was on Citalopram and I'd never considered if that could have increased her symptoms.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol

Hi, unlikely as it was only increased 2 weeks ago after discussing worsening situation with her GP. I guess if it is not having any benefit would question whether we continue with the increased dose.