Sudden Change in Alzheimers

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My hubby has been in hospital twice in last few weeks. He was diagnosed with Shingles. He now at a kidney infection. His main problem is delirium. He has a catheter in and is taking antibiotics. Will he ever go back to his previous level of Alzheimer’s. He used to walk round and colour in carehome.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Im so sorry to hear that. Shingles is particularly nasty the pain is horrible and now a kidney infection on top - Im not surprised that he has delirium.
Infections, pain, delirium and hospital stays can all progress Alzheimers, so you have got a right cocktail there. It can take up to 6 months for delirium to resolve, so its mostly a wait and see game, but to be honest, in my opinion (which might be wrong) he is unlikely to get back to the level he was before. It might even be that he doesnt improve much at all.

I think you might have to start thinking about possible outcomes - not to depress yourself, but to look honestly at how you would cope, what help you would need and what your lines in the sand are. Then hope you dont need it.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
It would be lovely on the site could tell you of someone that has made a full recovery.
My experience was no.
Things that may help would be a day clock showing date, night, day, time. ( I am not sure if you can get a battery powered one ?)
Also family photos are good.
Because they can get in the way, if mum gets delirium again I will laminate a A4 sheet of paper with family photos on it to make a dinner mat to leave on the side table. (It may not be a success but I will give it a try)

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
The day clocks are brilliant Weasel I bought my Mother one earlier in the year it's like a small tablet ours is plug not sure if it's got the battery option when she was getting more confused she has also suffered delerium after a hospital stay she thought it was a balance sheet bless her. I think I paid about 50 quid for it just shop around and I do wish you well x

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Oh Im so sorry to hear that. Shingles is particularly nasty the pain is horrible and now a kidney infection on top - Im not surprised that he has delirium.
Infections, pain, delirium and hospital stays can all progress Alzheimers, so you have got a right cocktail there. It can take up to 6 months for delirium to resolve, so its mostly a wait and see game, but to be honest, in my opinion (which might be wrong) he is unlikely to get back to the level he was before. It might even be that he doesnt improve much at all.

I think you might have to start thinking about possible outcomes - not to depress yourself, but to look honestly at how you would cope, what help you would need and what your lines in the sand are. Then hope you dont need it.
He’s in carehome not with me. The hospital mentioned Pallative care if he doesn’t improve.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He’s in carehome not with me. The hospital mentioned Pallative care if he doesn’t improve.
Palliative care does not necessarily mean End of Life. What it means is that he wouldnt be taken to hospital for treatment, but would be kept comfortable. Are the antibiotics working?
Have an honest and open talk to the doctor about exactly they would consider doing and what stage they think he is at.

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
He’s back in carehome cant walk, eats modified food and gags on drinks. Also now incontinent. They are going to look after him. No more going in hospital the GP willlook after him. It’s a 24/7 nursing home. He is still receiving his medication. Maybe in bed a lot but will be getting him a wheelchair.