Sudden aphasia after fall and covid

Love&Hope

Jun 24, 2019
Hello everyone. My dad has had a series of health issues lately. He lives in a nursing home for people with dementia, and suffers from mixed dementia himself. Early October he was hospitalised for pulmonary embolism, and released after a week's stay. Late October he tested positive for Covid, as did many of the residents and staff in his nursing home. A couple of days after the Covid diagnosis, he fell and his the back of his skull pretty hard... had to get stitches. My concern is that he came back from the ER unable to speak. My dad was quite talkative before the fall. Very chatty in fact. And his speech was clear. The brain scan done immediately after the fall showed to signs of stroke. But I can't help but think that he may have endured some form of brain damage. The nurses and doctors keep telling me that his inability to utter clear words is due to his tiredness. But I know my dad... and this seems really strange to me. Has anyone every experienced anything similar? Do you have any advice for me? This is all so frustrating.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hello everyone. My dad has had a series of health issues lately. He lives in a nursing home for people with dementia, and suffers from mixed dementia himself. Early October he was hospitalised for pulmonary embolism, and released after a week's stay. Late October he tested positive for Covid, as did many of the residents and staff in his nursing home. A couple of days after the Covid diagnosis, he fell and his the back of his skull pretty hard... had to get stitches. My concern is that he came back from the ER unable to speak. My dad was quite talkative before the fall. Very chatty in fact. And his speech was clear. The brain scan done immediately after the fall showed to signs of stroke. But I can't help but think that he may have endured some form of brain damage. The nurses and doctors keep telling me that his inability to utter clear words is due to his tiredness. But I know my dad... and this seems really strange to me. Has anyone every experienced anything similar? Do you have any advice for me? This is all so frustrating.
I am so sorry to hear about your dad.
One condition that is common after a visit to hospital is delirium, but it doesn’t sound like classic delirium to me.
I would be requesting they get a speech and language (SALT) referral done for him.
Hopefully others will be along with more ideas ? These things would cause immense worry at normal times, and must feel so much worse at the moment.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
@Weasell `s advice to consult a speech and language therapist is good advice @Love&Hope. Your dad has endured many differednt episodes and the aphasia could be temporaray A speech and language therapist will be able to advise and hopefully reassure you.

yabisnis

Jan 13, 2021
Hiya. My gran has the same thing after covid. She is very talkative generally but since contracting covid she doesn't speak anymore other than a few words. I know that she would eventually stop being able to speak but this is very sudden.

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
I am so sorry to hear about your dad.
One condition that is common after a visit to hospital is delirium, but it doesn’t sound like classic delirium to me.
I would be requesting they get a speech and language (SALT) referral done for him.
Hopefully others will be along with more ideas ? These things would cause immense worry at normal times, and must feel so much worse at the moment.
My Mum had hyperactive delerium when in hospital noone advised me but it was on the discharge letter and they didn't prescribe her anything for it like eg lorazepam then a month later she was very quiet wasn't sure if it was the reverse effect of it. I have heard about the SALT team my Mum sometimes clears her throat a lot not sure if it's the dementia or a bit of anxiety?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd