1. BettyL

BettyL Registered User

Jan 20, 2008
    Essex
    You may recall me being in a dither a couple of weeks ago. Trying to decide whether to take mum (who is in residential care) to visit my dad who still lives in their old home, or not.

Well - today I decided - yes, I would take mum home for a visit. The care home staff were very reassuring, so we set off on the 15minute drive home. Mum was very calm and even recognised some local landmarks. She chatted away and I was very pleased to hear that she very much liked a new lady called Betty who had just arrived at the home.

The visit went wonderfully well. Dad is physically very frail and mum enjoyed sharing a cup of tea with him and even washed up. The visit lasted about two hours, about 40 minutes of which they spent on their own while I did some shopping. When the time came to go back to the Home, mum had a few tears, but as we drove along in the car she soon cheered up. She even acknowledged that caring for dad now would be very hard work.

She took a tin of chocolate biscuits back with her to share with everybody and quite happily kissed me goodbye and went off for her tea.

I don't kid myself that it will always be like that - we've already been through some traumas - but for today, it was really nice. :):)

2. lesmisralbles

lesmisralbles Account Closed

Nov 23, 2007
    I am so happy for you

Hi bettyL
    Glad you Mum and Dad had a good day.
    Barb & Ron:)

3. helen.tomlinson

helen.tomlinson Registered User

Mar 27, 2008
    Hi BettyL

I haven't posted for a while but I was so pleased for you that I couldn't resist. I am so glad that you had that special time.

Very best wishes

Helen

4. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi Betty

Glad you has such a lovely day. One for the memory book.:):):)

Love,

5. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    Dear Betty

I'm so glad the visit worked out well, and hope you can manage many more like it.

Best wishes

6. Mameeskye

Mameeskye Registered User

Aug 9, 2007
    NZ
    Betty,

I am so glad for you that it worked out well.

Love

mameeskye