Success with CHC funding for Dementia/Alzheimers?

Brizzle

Mar 1, 2019
Thanks Elle3,

Those marks seem identical to what my mum was given on her second DST with a completely new MDT. A couple of her markings were raised from the first DST which was declared null and void due to procedural issues.

That being said I do not know whether during the “ after meeting” any of the markings were reduced from what was agreed at the “live MDT meeting” that I was invited to since the 28 day response time from the CCG has now come and gone and I am still none the wiser as to what the CHC decision is.

I must say in Mum’s case since she is currently on discharge to assess in a pathway 3 nursing home I am particularly surprised not to have heard anything. On the first flawed DST I got a phone call the very next day saying she had not qualified!

I wonder what others have experienced regarding the time the CCG have taken to make a decision following a completed DST ? It seems some are told almost immediately on the day of the meeting while others are told soon after by phone while still others such as my mum this time round have to wait for a CCG letter to drop through their letterbox either within time limits or late as is her case.

Rhyme or reason are not often words that would appear to sit comfortably where CHC procedures and decision making are concerned .

As mentioned above I would be interested to know others experience regarding how quickly they were notified of the CCG’s decision and whether they got a copy of the completed DST with an explanation of how the CCG came to that decision.

Thank you

MarieD

Dec 26, 2021
Thanks Elle3,

Those marks seem identical to what my mum was given on her second DST with a completely new MDT. A couple of her markings were raised from the first DST which was declared null and void due to procedural issues.

That being said I do not know whether during the “ after meeting” any of the markings were reduced from what was agreed at the “live MDT meeting” that I was invited to since the 28 day response time from the CCG has now come and gone and I am still none the wiser as to what the CHC decision is.

I must say in Mum’s case since she is currently on discharge to assess in a pathway 3 nursing home I am particularly surprised not to have heard anything. On the first flawed DST I got a phone call the very next day saying she had not qualified!

I wonder what others have experienced regarding the time the CCG have taken to make a decision following a completed DST ? It seems some are told almost immediately on the day of the meeting while others are told soon after by phone while still others such as my mum this time round have to wait for a CCG letter to drop through their letterbox either within time limits or late as is her case.

Rhyme or reason are not often words that would appear to sit comfortably where CHC procedures and decision making are concerned .

As mentioned above I would be interested to know others experience regarding how quickly they were notified of the CCG’s decision and whether they got a copy of the completed DST with an explanation of how the CCG came to that decision.

Thank you
Hi
My meeting with them was via a video call ( due to covid restrictions ) the assessor told me straight away at the end of the meeting.

karenbow

May 24, 2021
my mum could not move ,support her head, talk ,eat without help, doubly incontinent, had epilepsy, skin cancer, extremely thin and frail seriously underweight, no cognitive skills whatsoever and had to be turned every 2 hours - the chc assessment is something we all have to go through but the most hurtful thing to me was my mum being refused because it was like they had not acknowledged how bad my mum was- mum could not be looked after at home as told by hosp- this was worrying for me and i found it almost cruel for us to go through this check when they must have known they were going to say no anyway-mum died 10 days later- i knew this would happen why didnt they? they hadn,t seen my mum, didn,t know my mum ,were assessing with outdated medical info about my mum, i read everything on this and when i saw your post like canary said read the gov website , make your own notes , they are only doing a job, you will have the opportunity to speak, i really wish you luck as shown not all are refused - costs aside i just wanted more compassion for my mums situation- please dont waste the opportunity to talk for your mum xxx

Brizzle

Mar 1, 2019
My mums CHC funding assessment seems to be going on and on. She received high enough marks at the MDT meeting that in normal circumstances would enable her to get funding based on scores alone. However as often appears to be the case the CHC assessors have backtracked in a private meeting amongst themselves by marking her scores down and presumably giving reasons on the DST as to why they did this.

They have not made contact with me or sent me a copy of the completed DST( and their reasoning) so I have no idea whether the original scoring is in place with added content for refusing CHC or whether they have actually changed the marks downward on a couple of domains which would appear to be in breach of procedure per the national framework.

Social services have in fact been in contact and have advised that they consider mum is eligible for CHC and therefore by definition mums care needs are in their opinion beyond what they could reasonably be expected to cover per the care act of 2014.

Social services and the CHC have today had a meeting whereby both are fighting their corner about what is the right decision for mum and as expected the meeting ended in deadlock. The Social worker involved with mums CHC has told me that the Manager of Adult care was present for Social services and agreed with her that that mum should qualify for CHC.

So now they are going to “Panel” with senior figures from both the CCG and Social Services to try and reach a final outcome. This seems to be following a slightly different pathway than normal, has anybody else had any experience of this happening during their CHC process?