substance misue & dementia

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
Hi folks, im not sure if this is the correct place in Talking point for this subject so please correct me if i am wrong. I was discussing the issue of alcohol & drug misuse on a course the other day. One of the other participants mentioned that they were of the opinion that we are facing a health timebomb in memory loss as a result of the binge drinking & drug taking culture. This has caused me to think about what was said and i am wondering if anyone has links to information on this subject. Shauny

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ho Shauny

I know there's a factsheet on the AS website about alcohol induced dementia, but I haven't seen much else (but then, I haven't really been looking). Something that occurs to me though - people who abuse drugs and/or alcohol may well die of other causes before dementia rears it's ugly head.

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi Shauny,

Although it is possible that drug/alcohol misuse can cause illnesses that result in death, they can develop problems that lead to dementia. for example, intravenous drug users are at risk of circulatory problems which could lead to vascular dementia. Alcohol causing nerve damage and alcohol-induced dementia are fairly well documented.

Jodie

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Alcohol causing nerve damage and alcohol-induced dementia are fairly well documented.

That is what is happening with my brother
his also got other mental heath issue. Now they saying he has a dementia begging with a K can't remember the whole word, alcohol-induced

went to see him today , left me in feeling so angry that I just wanted to cry , the mess his in and his room , but had to keep in control emotional while talking to his housing support manger , that they finally going to to do a referral to get high level support for him 27/7 , but I am back to looking after his money , because they have not sorted it out yet .

So I walk to the nearest Princess royal carers trust , that not far where my brother staying , because I needed to cry it out , other wise I would of cried in the street, Or gone to the pub .

then went to see his CPN who showed me the paper work that they have to fill out , what 4 criteria he need to have to go into one , he need at lest 4 , has them all . then he showed me the addresses of Care home they going to ring to see if they space for him . I had to see all this as I would not believe it . Ended up having a counseling session with him , he ended up taking me right right back into my past , before my brother got mental ill what triggered my brother mental illness at the age of 19, bloody class B drugs.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Maggie,

I can empathise totally with you on this one. I have a son aged 31 who tried to commit suicide last year-almost succeeded-and spent 3 months in a mental health unit-all because of a lifetime of drug abuse..started with cannabis and went on to heroin.

He is now living in his own place (funded by the state)..due to my efforts he has funding for residential rehab..and believe me that took some getting..now he's not sure he wants it..

I could get so angry about this for all sorts of reasons..

I've backed off for now..I love him and have pointed out the options he has..it's up to him..

Alcohol was also a big problem..he still has a big problem with paranoia..and his health is suffering too..

The scary thing is that there are many more like him-and your brother-out there-who are -at some stage-going to come up against problems with dementia at a really early age..unless they die first..that is the stark truth..

Shauny..I have no links to info on this..personal experience is currently enough..but it is very thought provoking..

This is of interest to me from a personal point of view..but my main reason for being here on TP is because my husband has AD/VAD

Love Gigi xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Gigi, Margarita - I take my hat off to you both. Here's poor little me, thinking of my problems pales into insignificance when I think of you two dealing with all you do. What heroic people one comes across in this world and you two are amongst that number. xx TinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wish the same media attention would be given to ordinary people whose lives, and the lives of their families, are devastated by drug use, as is being currently given to a couple of pop stars.

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
Smd

Hi thanks for your replies, food for thought. Margarita i have done some research i think the term is Kosakoff's syndrome a alcohol induced dementia. I have come across this in work before and it will i think become more prevalent especially with the drink/drug culture we have. Shauny

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I've backed off for now..I love him and have pointed out the options he has..it's up to him.

That what I wish my mother had done
years ago , as lest he would of know what its like to live independently, but when he would not take his medication at the age of 22 , he got into trouble , so it was a person or take medication live with mum , that sealed his fate , because she just pandered to him so much that now at the age of 50 his got no cooking skills

I must get this of my chest , when I went to see him yesterday . he lost his post office card for the second time .

I and his support worker , where they while he phone them up . So I said to him " don't forget your password is xxxx " then support worker said "' oh he change password before, because he forgot it , his New password is your Name. he said your name , because he said he never forget it " .

I back of also for a while , but his got no other family but me .. as he lost his post office card his had no money so has not been drinking , they advice his not to drink , but I know his going to drink and he won't go into rehab like I want him to . Its got to come from him . Not me . he has to reach out for help and he won't .

So I have to back of emotional , detach myself Emotional, but recognize, acknolage my emotion . other wise I would crack

He was so easy to get on with yesterday , but still so child like so venerable gullibly .

if he stay away from Weed alcohol they just don't mix he would be fine .

he tell me he drinks , smoke because he can't take his mental illness , I"" I can't take it , I can't take it "" he tell me . he to has wanted to kill himself ... but then the weed started the mental illness . His living in a catch 22 in his mind , has no insight into it .

( am rushing this post )

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He must be a bigger worry to you than your mother, Maggie. At least you know your mother is safe.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
His living in a catch 22 in his mind , has no insight into it

Hi Maggie..you do have a lot on your plate.

It is difficult because..like my son..these people do not seem to realise that what they are doing to escape from reality are the very things that are harming then.

There does come a point when you have to back off..but like you I still feel a sense of responsibility.

I've made it clear to him that he's been as low as he can get(declared homeless on discharge from hospital,living in homeless accommodation)..he's had a lot of help and support and has options now-it's up to him. He has to live his own life and make his own choices. I will not rescue him again. And I just pray that he'll make sensible choices..:)

I think it's called "tough love"..

Lots of love... Gigi xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"tough love"

Your right about though love

He must be a bigger worry to you than your mother, Maggie. At least you know your mother is safe.

That why I have push for 24/7
supervision , his 50 so can't go into care home . So where he has other mental issue , he can go into 24 Housing support , so if he gets the urge to go wondering out late at night , like he has in the past , they be someone they supervising him , talk to him so can stop him going out so late at night.

I new they was something more going on with him , but no one would listen to me , they had to see it for themselves, 2 years it has taken me , for anyone to believe to me .

Thank my lucky stars, that he is excepting 24/7 supervision, he knows me that why as I use that tough love on him.

First 3 years of caring/ living with me I never , then the last 2 years just had to .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Removal of Posts.

Moderator Note

The previous Posts 14 and 15 have been removed from this Thread.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I too have a brother with long term drug and alcohol problems that have affected all aspects of his health, including his mental health. It is a current tragedy, as well as one which (as Shauny says) is bound to be an even greater problem in the future. :(