Stubborn dad won't let formal support in to help mum with AD

Cloudy92

Aug 16, 2022
Hi, new here. I am a psychological professional by background and felt I should be able to cope on my own and only just realising I am just a human being struggling as much as anyone!

My mum is 65 and has a diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Her speech is very poor, she has declined significantly over the past few months, and more recently she is not looking after herself at all (doesn't bathe, brush teeth etc). It's heart breaking, she was such a competent woman, took such pride in her appearance. My sister, dad and I have applied for both LPAs and just waiting for that to be processed. My sister is very supportive. Both of us live away from home but visit alternate weeks to help where possible, we both work full time with demanding and tiring jobs. Dad is 70 and works from home. He does his best but it really feels like it's getting to a stage where mum would benefit from a social care assessment. My dad is simultaneously a very proud, stubborn and anxious person, and is flat out refusing this. I suspect it comes from a place of anxiety and feeling some guilt/responsibility to my mum to meet all her care needs, however she can be very hostile towards him and often refuses his help, which makes this very difficult. Despite this, he is still sticking firm that he can manage. We are just about scraping by at the moment, but as she only lets me or my sister bathe her she is probably only bathing once a week. I feel guilty, as I am trying to maintain my own wellbeing alongside work and helping my own parents and have some sort of life, as is my sister, and also really frustrated with my dad about being so darn stubborn about not letting more formal support in. I have come at it with my professional knowledge, but he still doesn't listen and remains very sceptical of what social care could do to help. I am not necessarily looking for any answers on here (though if anyone has any, do share!). I suppose I just needed a safe space to vent, learn of others experiences, and just generally offload. Hope this is okay, thank you for reading and any pearls of wisdom that can be shared.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Cloudy92 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sure that you will find empathy and helpful suggestions here.

It sounds very much that your Dad needs extra support from professionals. He is resistant to this of course, but if you can convince him that it is in your Mum's best interests to have her needs assessed that would be a good start. One person alone cannot provide the increasing level of care that becomes essential as dementia progresses. I can say this having tried to care for my wife.

It is good that you and your sister are supportive but you live at a distance and have your own lives. Perhaps the biggest difference you can make is to convince your Dad (firmly but gently) that professional help is required. Devising a care plan and getting help in place will benefit both your Mum and Dad. The misplaced guilt that you feel can then be replaced by pride in doing what is best in very difficult circumstances.

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If dad won't allow help for mum, then she will be in a Care Home much quicker than might be the case.
Does dad have the capacity to understand this?

Bod

Cloudy92

Aug 16, 2022
If dad won't allow help for mum, then she will be in a Care Home much quicker than might be the case.
Does dad have the capacity to understand this?

Bod
Good point Bod and I will raise this with him when it next feels right. Yes he has full capacity. Thank you for your reply

Cloudy92

Aug 16, 2022
Hi @Cloudy92 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sure that you will find empathy and helpful suggestions here.

It sounds very much that your Dad needs extra support from professionals. He is resistant to this of course, but if you can convince him that it is in your Mum's best interests to have her needs assessed that would be a good start. One person alone cannot provide the increasing level of care that becomes essential as dementia progresses. I can say this having tried to care for my wife.

It is good that you and your sister are supportive but you live at a distance and have your own lives. Perhaps the biggest difference you can make is to convince your Dad (firmly but gently) that professional help is required. Devising a care plan and getting help in place will help both your Mum and Dad. The misplaced guilt that you feel can then be replaced by pride in doing what is best in very difficult circumstances.
Thank you, this is very eloquently put. I'm hoping if I can voice things from people who have experience of caring for someone with dementia it can be more convincing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I tried to care for my OH on my own and reached carer breakdown. OH had to go into emergency respite and my children were very firm that I had to get professional help.
I now have carers coming in to help OH get washed and dressed. I also have a lady from Age UK through their Help at Home scheme who helps me with housework, laundry, etc. They have been an absolute godsend.

Would your dad be willing to accept a Home Help or a cleaner? It would be a good way to introduce people coming into their home. I expect your mum has refused to have "strangers" coming into her home and your dad is trying to protect her. It probably feels to him like a betrayal if he agrees to having people in if your mum has refused it. He is probably also trying to keep the peace - people with dementia can say some pretty hurtful things when they are upset.

Cloudy92

Aug 16, 2022
Thank you. These are some really good ideas. I'm sorry things got so difficult for you but hearing your experience is really informative. These are definitely things I can discuss as options with him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09