struggling

Dunkery

Jul 19, 2013
Devon
Hi and welcome Vesnina. I am quite new to the group too but have found it really helpful, gives you a clearer picture of things. The other night was a one off, last night being one of the worst when she got out of bed and snapped the catheter. I have been to see a home not far and it was lovely all seemed really supportive I was surprised and comforted by the visit. I am going to try a week for now, I have some money through direct payments that was for a holiday for me, but I think I'll use it to give me a break and to see how mum copes with a little trip. Thank you for all your comments advice and support. love to all out there tonight x

That sounds very positive Yoyo. I hope you manage to get your mum to respite. I think I shall make enquiries along the same lines. I was supposed to go to a meeting today but as soon as the sitter came, mum had a panic attack at the thought of me leaving her, put on her coat and shoes and said she was going out and then sobbed and begged me not to go so I stayed. I am supposed to be going out on Friday to the hairdressers-no idea if I will be able to go. Hope you have a better night tonight. x

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
That sounds very positive Yoyo. I hope you manage to get your mum to respite. I think I shall make enquiries along the same lines. I was supposed to go to a meeting today but as soon as the sitter came, mum had a panic attack at the thought of me leaving her, put on her coat and shoes and said she was going out and then sobbed and begged me not to go so I stayed. I am supposed to be going out on Friday to the hairdressers-no idea if I will be able to go. Hope you have a better night tonight. x

ah that's sad - lets hope you get to the hair dresses. can work wonders! love and hugs x

Dunkery

Jul 19, 2013
Devon
Difficult day

I returned from an early morning walk with the dog to find mum upset because she had woken up and had realised I had gone out-usually she sleeps until I am back. She had a bad panic attack and had uncontrollable shakes and did not want me to leave the bedroom. I finally got hold of the CPN, who was with us within half an hour. Mum was dressed and on the point of going downstairs by then. She was still begging me not to leave her, even when I just went into the garden to put out the washing, despite the nurse reassuring her that she would stay with her. The nurse said there was little they could do in terms of changing her medication because she is so reluctant to take anything. She is not eating or drinking much. The nurse's opinion was that mum needs to go into emergency respite care where she hopefully will respond better to professionals than she does to me. It is such a hard decision but I cannot see the situation improving so reluctantly I have agreed for her to contact our social worker to make arrangements. I am dreading the phone call saying they have found her a place but know that there is really not much alternative as if I become ill I will not be able to look after mum anyway. This is an awful disease.

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
I returned from an early morning walk with the dog to find mum upset because she had woken up and had realised I had gone out-usually she sleeps until I am back. She had a bad panic attack and had uncontrollable shakes and did not want me to leave the bedroom. I finally got hold of the CPN, who was with us within half an hour. Mum was dressed and on the point of going downstairs by then. She was still begging me not to leave her, even when I just went into the garden to put out the washing, despite the nurse reassuring her that she would stay with her. The nurse said there was little they could do in terms of changing her medication because she is so reluctant to take anything. She is not eating or drinking much. The nurse's opinion was that mum needs to go into emergency respite care where she hopefully will respond better to professionals than she does to me. It is such a hard decision but I cannot see the situation improving so reluctantly I have agreed for her to contact our social worker to make arrangements. I am dreading the phone call saying they have found her a place but know that there is really not much alternative as if I become ill I will not be able to look after mum anyway. This is an awful disease.

Oh Dunkery
I am so sorry, we really are in the same place, although I don't leave mum that much because there are others about. how distressing for you both. I have to agree though, there is only so much you can do and there are no wonder drugs that just take it away, while we have tried some it has just given us other problems and they did have a sedation effect to start with but now she seems over stimulated some nights. Can you believe my sister did her one and only night last night and she slept for her. please lets know how things go on, I'm thinking of you and sending you positive vibes love and hugs xx