Struggling

Balouboy

May 14, 2021
I live with and care for mum and step dad, dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 3years ago, I was told then his many health conditions would take him before it progressed to any great problem.
Here I am now, well down the road but with mum’s help we coped. During the lockdown, unable to get out which she loved, mum has developed Alzheimer’s, diagnosed last month, following months of trying to get help and a diagnosis “due to covid” restrictions, she is already Moderately affected, I ask for help, I cry every day, it is destroying me, I really struggle just to walk in the same room with dad now, he doesn’t even know who I am and refers to mum as “her or she”. Mum just cry’s, which is not my mum, (she was 90 last week) help please.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Balouboy and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You have a lot to deal with and sound at risk of being overwhelmed by all these challenges. Do you have any help at all, such as carers coming in several times daily or respite care? Have you been in touch with social services to let them know that you are dealing with 2 vulnerable adults? If you haven't had adult needs assessments for both your mum and stepdad then you should ask your local social services to do these as a matter of priority. Ask for a carer's assessment for yourself too as your needs are just as important. I hope that this helps and please keep posting as you'll find this a supportive place.

You might find it helpful to speak to the Dementia Connect support line

Last edited: