Struggling!

Bruja1975

Jan 14, 2020
Hi everyone
I'm new to this so apologies.

My mum got diagnosed with early stage alzheimers last year and have managed do far with general memory loss part. Mum is now going through a very moody stage and can be very aggressive speaking wise. I'm struggling to cope with this, I work part time but 9 hour shifts 3 days a week, my husband and I are separated because of her behaviour especially towards him and have 2 small kids 5yrs and 3yrs. I'm stuck in the middle and feel cant do right for wrong! Am I the only one and how do I get through this????

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @bruja and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s problems. It must be so hard for you with such a young family and your work commitments as well as caring for your mum. You must be worried about the impact on your little ones.

I wondered if you have been able to discuss your mum’s behaviour with her GP. Perhaps there might be something she could take to reduce her agitation/aggression. If you have no support for your mum just now it might be helpful to have a look at this link to see if there is any local support you might tap into. Just put the postcode into the box.

If you’d like to have a one to one chat with someone then the Helpline is available -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

I’m so glad you’ve found the forum as I know you will get lots of help and support here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Bruja1975
a warm welcome from me too

I agree, chat with your mum's GP and let them know exactly how she is, as some meds may help ... if the GP won't discuss with you, write to them giving bullet points of her behaviour and your concerns, as they must note information from family .. maybe ask the GP to invite her to a well-woman check-up or flu jab to get to see her ... or you make an appointment for her, after you've informed the GP, but tell her it's for you and you'd like her support

has your mum had an assessment of her care needs by her Local Authoritu Adult Services, as some day care may help her and give you a break ... you have a right to a carer's assessment too

I'm sorry about the effects on your marriage ... you may want to support your mum, your own family need you, though, and must be your priority ... are you living with her? if so, is there any way to move out to give you both some space?

Admiral Nurses are there to help the carer,
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/
if there isn't a local nurse, they have a helpline, do give them a call