Struggling with Mum at the moment

Molalf

Oct 9, 2019
I am really struggling with Mum at the moment following her dementia diagnosis 2 years ago. Her mobility is really restricted but she does also have severe arthiritis, so is this the dementia or arthiritis causing this? I tried to get a Doctor to home visit on Monday but he only telephoned and prescribed anti inflammatorys. For this past 3 nights she has been agitated and sick throughout the night. I am not her main carer but have just spoken to her on the telephone and her voice seems slurred. I feel as though we have been so badly treated with this dementia diagnosis, I have done an online course to find out as much as I can, but there is no-one to call with your concerns and worries. All I want to know is wat stage are we at. She is incontinent and has now taken to catching her poo with her hands to avoid messing the pad up, trying to eat the tv remote control and all types of peculiar behaviour. I am going to insist on a Doctors visit tomorrow as I really feel she seems to be seen.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I am really struggling with Mum at the moment following her dementia diagnosis 2 years ago. Her mobility is really restricted but she does also have severe arthiritis, so is this the dementia or arthiritis causing this? I tried to get a Doctor to home visit on Monday but he only telephoned and prescribed anti inflammatorys. For this past 3 nights she has been agitated and sick throughout the night. I am not her main carer but have just spoken to her on the telephone and her voice seems slurred. I feel as though we have been so badly treated with this dementia diagnosis, I have done an online course to find out as much as I can, but there is no-one to call with your concerns and worries. All I want to know is wat stage are we at. She is incontinent and has now taken to catching her poo with her hands to avoid messing the pad up, trying to eat the tv remote control and all types of peculiar behaviour. I am going to insist on a Doctors visit tomorrow as I really feel she seems to be seen.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums, @Molalf.
Regarding the mobility, my partner is the same and she has been prescribed an anti-inflammatory gel for the past year or so and that helps a little without any side effects. It is hard to say which is casing the most problems, the arthritis or the dementia and her GP has never explained either.
The more important issue of the sickness and the slurring needs to be sorted, and don't be afraid to call 111 or even 999 if you think your mum needs to see someone tonight. Explain the circumstances and include the fact of the new meds. In my experience neither out of hours doctor nor ambulance crews have ever been critical when I've called them out.
Good luck.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do know anti-inflammatory Meds can cause stomach upsets @Molalf so I do recommend further contact with the doctor.

It does sound as if you really deserve better support than you are getting.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

I hope things improve soon for you & your mum, I don’t have any advice but couldn’t read & run
Sending a big hug!