Struggling with guilt.

Sarest

May 11, 2011
Sussex
Hi,

I'm new to this even though my dad has been diagnosed with Alz. for a few years now. Dad is 85, lives at home on his own and only has a carer for 4 hrs a week. He can cook and look after himself well but his "paranoia" and general stuff has got worse. I see him once or twice a week and my sibling sees him once a week. So a good network is in place.

I'm the patient one who dad always calls, most days a couple of times. But yesterday was really hard... we had planned a day out shopping for bits he needed and he had his list all ready. But whilst we were driving he would say he was lost and asked where we were going. This I coped with by repeating where we are going and explaining where we were in ways that would trigger a memory of where we were.. But a whole day of this was reallly tough along with his business idea and that he's going to set up a company and .... just nodding and smiling and repeating all day was so difficult - but I don't understand why, normally I can deal with it but left feeling drained, angry and guilty and I've dealt withfar worse days - even when he said I was in cahoots with British Gas and pressured him into getting a boiler or the relationship between my daughter and partner isn't appropriate (I'm putting this in the least upsetting way as possible). My sibling and I have coping mechanisms and techniques to deal with this.

I have to see him again today and I am so worried about how I'm going to stay patient.

Just really needed to vent and get this out in the open as I'm feeling so rubbish about it all.

Thanks

Sarah

He no longer attends memory clinic as he wont take medication and his decline has been very s

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Sarah, welcome to Talking Point.

I am so sorry to read of your dad's diagnosis. He does seem to cope well with your help and you should be very proud of yourself for all you do.

I guess there will always be days that you are able to cope more than other, you are human like the rest of us :) Don't be hard on yourself.

Have you ever thought about asking for some outside help with your father's care? You are also entitled to a carers' assessment, and this can lead to many other opportunities for you and your dad.

Here is link to the the AS factsheet

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/document_pdf.php?documentID=131

My very best wishes to you all.