Struggling with activities

Clare12

Aug 18, 2020
Hi all, I’m new to these parts. My dad was diagnosed with frontal temporal dementia last year. He’s in a care home now, and I’m trying to find some options for activities as he’s not the easiest to entertain. He’s worked his whole life doing roadworks and has always done the garden at home. He’s always been very physical, and isn’t one to just sit and read, do a puzzle, etc. He is able to go outside to the garden, but I’m trying to find more activities to try inside. He’s also done DIY and when he’s bored that’s what he reverts to, trying to do “jobs”. The care home do a lot of activities but it’s proving tricky to find ones that my dad will engage in. I think he needs to feel busy! Any suggestions would be great!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
could they give some jobs in their garden or a box for some pots to grow indoors herbs veg that grows in little pots im not a gardener but hope you can understand what im trying to say. could he lead an activity with the help of the staff to run a group activity or something that makes him think he has a purpose and role in the home. could be given some sort of job depending on what he can do. dont know if thats helps or not

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Clare12 . I have read that Lego can be popular with men who have dementia. There's also Meccano, which might appeal. Do you think that might entertain your Dad or would he consider it something for children? I'm always slightly concerned about residents swallowing small things, which might be an issue at the care home, so best check with them first!

Clare12

Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for your suggestions! Going to ask about the meccano, and see if they can find more of a role for him in the home ?