struggling to cope

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Awaiting diagnosis for my 91 year old father the more I read about the different types of dementia the more I get confused as my father seems to be displaying symptoms from all types he definitely has sundowner syndrome as from approximately 7pm each night he becomes more confused and sleep becomes a luxury for myself and my husband and during the night any of the upstairs rooms can become a toilet

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi exhausted and welcome to TP :)

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope it's not too long before your dad's clinic appointment. It may be that the doctor there can prescribe some medication that can help. In any case, if things carry on like this, I'd go back to your dad's GP for advice. Your dad just might have something like a urine infection, which could be making his condition worse....and a UTI is treatable, thank goodness.

It's a hard road to travel as a carer. Do keep posting on here, give us a bit more information if you would like to, and I'm sure others will come along and do their best to help.

Sending you good wishes :)

Lindy xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Awaiting diagnosis for my 91 year old father the more I read about the different types of dementia the more I get confused as my father seems to be displaying symptoms from all types he definitely has sundowner syndrome as from approximately 7pm each night he becomes more confused and sleep becomes a luxury for myself and my husband and during the night any of the upstairs rooms can become a toilet

Hi exhausted
Diagnosing exactly what type of dementia is a bit of a black art and ultimately (to me that is, others do feel differently) it doesn't matter. Pretty much the treatment for all types are the same and knowing exactly and specifically which one it is doesn't make a blind bit of difference to your situation.
When my car goes wrong I don't need to know it's the bearing in the alternator or the clutch thrush bearing that's gone I just need to know how much and when will it be fixed.
I'd focus more on finding practical solutions to the problems like the incontinence and sleeplessness because to me that's the thing that can improve your life not knowing whether it's caused by this or that type of dementia, the solutions are the same whatever the cause is.
Sorry that's doesn't sound too positive but if, like my wife you get a diagnosis of "mixed and atypical AZ" then the way forward is to deal with the real problems you're having rather than focusing on the cause. Knowing why someone's peeing on the floor is less important than knowing what's the best way to deal with it if you get my drift.
K

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi exhausted and welcome to TP :)

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope it's not too long before your dad's clinic appointment. It may be that the doctor there can prescribe some medication that can help. In any case, if things carry on like this, I'd go back to your dad's GP for advice. Your dad just might have something like a urine infection, which could be making his condition worse....and a UTI is treatable, thank goodness.

It's a hard road to travel as a carer. Do keep posting on here, give us a bit more information if you would like to, and I'm sure others will come along and do their best to help.

Sending you good wishes :)

Lindy xx
thank you lindy
Dad is awaiting ct scan refered from memory clinic no infection sampled both urine and faeces getting very little sleep at witsend mental health deteriorated after recent hip operation., going to struggle on for as long as we can it's heartbreaking. To think that I may have to place him. In residential accommodation

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi exhausted
Diagnosing exactly what type of dementia is a bit of a black art and ultimately (to me that is, others do feel differently) it doesn't matter. Pretty muhi ch the treatment for all types are the same and knowing exactly and specifically which one it is doesn't make a blind bit of difference to your situation.
When my car goes wrong I don't need to know it's the bearing in the alternator or the clutch thrush bearing that's gone I just need to know how much and when will it be fixed.
I'd focus more on finding practical solutions to the problems like the incontinence and sleeplessness because to me that's the thing that can improve your life not knowing whether it's caused by this or that type of dementia, the solutions are the same whatever the cause is.
Sorry that's doesn't sound too positive but if, like my wife you get a diagnosis of "mixed and atypical AZ" then the way forward is to deal with the real problems you're having rather than focusing on the cause. Knowing why someone's peeing on the floor is less important than knowing what's the best way to deal with it if you get my drift.
K
Hi Kevin thank you I intend to keep going so pleased I found this site

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
sundowner syndrome

I was wondering just how many dementia sufferers have sundowner syndrome I would like to hear from other carers and how they deal with it I know that it is a common problem but would like to hear from other carers about how they cope

Keepingup

Jul 13, 2015
I was wondering just how many dementia sufferers have sundowner syndrome I would like to hear from other carers and how they deal with it I know that it is a common problem but would like to hear from other carers about how they cope

we have heard this term used but don't know what it means? what is it?

Keepingup

Jul 13, 2015
Thanks. We'd thought it was some reference to being in the autumn of life. Fortunately this doesn't seem to be a problem for us at present, we've not got to the aggressive stage yet, just many confusion and recall. Unfortunately I suspect this is on the horizon though hopefully a long way off.

Billybobs

Sep 14, 2015
North East Lincolnshire

Hi,
I have this problem with my husband. If he gets up to go to the toilet I have to get up as well as he can go anywhere! I have had to get rid of all waste bins out of the living room, bedrooms and bathroom, if they are there he uses them. Even in the daytime although I have posted toilet pictures on the doors, he still asks where to go. As you say sleep seems to be at a premium. I had a really good night last night I got five hours sleep.​