Struggling to access support

Daisywoot

Jul 5, 2019
Hi there

My father has alzheimers, received the diagnosis 2 years ago. We requested assistance from the council, however he's been told he would need to pay 12,000 a year for 4 half hour visits a day. As a pensioner with no savings, several thousands of pounds worth of debt and a state pension, he cant afford it (I'm not sure who could in this position?). He has a property that he receives an income from, which is how he survives, but there is no disposable income to hand. We have been told that this property is considered an asset, so he doesn't qualify for assistance.

Is anyone else experiencing difficulty in accessing support?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forums @Daisywoot.
I'm not sure exactly how it all works beyond the limit of £23,500 of savings that qualifies for assistance. Does your dad get attendance allowance? That is not means tested, though it only amounts to a maximum of £80 per week which might make some contribution. You could the National Dementia Helpline for free advice and guidance.

0300 222 11 22

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
He has a property that he receives an income from
This is the source of the problem area, but do not give up. You can ask for the charges to be deferred against the value of the property, but first of all, get a proper assessment from social services they are not interested in who pays for the care, just what care is required.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
This is the source of the problem area, but do not give up. You can ask for the charges to be deferred against the value of the property, but first of all, get a proper assessment from social services they are not interested in who pays for the care, just what care is required.

I'm not sure that asking for a deferred payment against the property applies for care in your own home . I'm sure others will be along soon with better advice. I'm assuming from the opening post, this is about accessing carers at home. If so,I'm afraid you have to be proactive if you're self funding. There's attendance allowance, council tax reduction, if applicable and my mother-in-law was paying £20 an hour from a private agency

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
A second property which your Father does not live in will be deemed to be an asset and therefore he will be considered a 'self-funder'. As mentioned above, a deferred payment applies to care home fees only, not carers coming in at home. If your father has already been assessed as requiring 4 carer visits per day that is usually the maximum that would be provided prior to social services deeming that a care home is required. Depending on your father's needs it may be time to consider selling the other property. The funds could then be used to pay for carers at home, or care home costs when needed, provide him with an income, and possibly also pay off his outstanding debts. Although keeping the other property provides him with an income if it means that this still isn't enough to pay for the care that he needs then selling the other property may be the best option for him.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I'm not sure that asking for a deferred payment against the property applies for care in your own home
My wife has dementia but we look after her at home with a care package agreed with social services. We have a second property in France and the care payments are deferred against this property.