Struggling Now

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi bemused. Spoke to the Staff Nurse and she said he is improving. They are taking the catheter out tonight, but if he us still retaining urine he will have to have a permanent catheter. I am quite worried about the implications regarding further UTI's if this is the case.

How are you? I hope you haven't got any significant damage from your fall. Horrible thing to happen because it shakes you up so much.
Wishing you a good night, sleep well - if you can get comfortable.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope that works out Es. They wanted to put a permanent one in for my hubby, but I wouldn't allow it due to him constantly pulling the first one out, over and over. Will Nick be all right on that score?

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope that works out Es. They wanted to put a permanent one in for my hubby, but I wouldn't allow it due to him constantly pulling the first one out, over and over. Will Nick be all right on that score?

Hope so Chuggs, normally I would say no because he has been so good about everything even with the dementia, but things have changed so hope it will be alright.
Hope today is a bit better for you with the pain and stiffness.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hope so Chuggs, normally I would say no because he has been so good about everything even with the dementia, but things have changed so hope it will be alright.
Hope today is a bit better for you with the pain and stiffness.

Well, I've had another good rest so I should be back on the mend, now; thanks Es. Life, aye? The decisions we have to make are so hard sometimes. :eek: I do hope all goes well if it's decided Nick should have this done.

None of us knew all of this would happen. Yet we live each day, and, hopefully, find a way through it, with something to be thankful for. Will keep an eye on you both, xxxxxxxxxxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Nick is looking better today and seems to be a bit more with it, which is good. The OT said he is getting himself up well with the turner, however he needed to use the commode while I was there and the two male nurses seemed to struggle a bit because he pulls himself up but leans back, so I'm not too sure. I think they will be looking at discharging him once they've got the catheter business sorted out one way or another, which is fine as long as I can get him up with the turner.

My thoughts are somewhat selfishly turning to my two days respite next week. If it wasn't for something special I would cancel in a heartbeat but I really need to go. The CH is happy to have him but if he goes there from home I'm worried about transport and the OT thinks I shouldn't try to get him there on my own. The physio gave me a number for the St John's Ambulance who provide transport. Phoned them and they would charge £110 each way for the 4 mile trip. That's more than I'm paying for the respite:eek::eek: I will have to try to explore other options. Will pay it if I have to but really….

Thanks for your good wishes Chuggs, hope you are on the mend.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Stick to your guns Es. Good news that Nick is improving and you do have the hoist if necessary.Might it be better for him to go straight to the care home, especially considering the cost of moving him. Bit of profiteering going on there.
Hope it works out anyway.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Stick to your guns Es. Good news that Nick is improving and you do have the hoist if necessary.Might it be better for him to go straight to the care home, especially considering the cost of moving him. Bit of profiteering going on there.
Hope it works out anyway.

Bemused has a good point, Es. Would it be possible for Nick to have extended respite rather than coming home for such a short time then away again?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Nick is looking better today and seems to be a bit more with it, which is good. The OT said he is getting himself up well with the turner, however he needed to use the commode while I was there and the two male nurses seemed to struggle a bit because he pulls himself up but leans back, so I'm not too sure. I think they will be looking at discharging him once they've got the catheter business sorted out one way or another, which is fine as long as I can get him up with the turner.

My thoughts are somewhat selfishly turning to my two days respite next week. If it wasn't for something special I would cancel in a heartbeat but I really need to go. The CH is happy to have him but if he goes there from home I'm worried about transport and the OT thinks I shouldn't try to get him there on my own. The physio gave me a number for the St John's Ambulance who provide transport. Phoned them and they would charge £110 each way for the 4 mile trip. That's more than I'm paying for the respite:eek::eek: I will have to try to explore other options. Will pay it if I have to but really….

Thanks for your good wishes Chuggs, hope you are on the mend.

All that for four miles? A double taxi fare would be cheaper. If Nick can manage a taxi, Es - do that.

Talk about filching from the sick. I'm horrified.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
The CH is happy to have him but if he goes there from home I'm worried about transport and the OT thinks I shouldn't try to get him there on my own. The physio gave me a number for the St John's Ambulance who provide transport. Phoned them and they would charge £110 each way for the 4 mile trip. That's more than I'm paying for the respite:eek::eek:

I am in total shock. Why so much? And why can't he be transported directly from hospital to CH by NHS ambulance. Or am I reading this wrongly. You poor thing, your nerves must be worn to a frazzle.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I had been hoping that Nick would come home for a few days before he had to go into respite, and didn't think he would be in for so long but yes, as time goes on, it is beginning to look as though it might be better and less confusing for him to go straight to the CH, in which case he would be transported by the NHS. I didn't want to be bed blocking for my own convenience. They removed the catheter last night but up to the end of my visit today he seems to be retaining urine again. They are doing regular bladder scans to keep an eye on it but will have to recatheterise him unless the situation changes. Poor lamb, wish they didn't have to. I'm wondering whether if it has to be permanent they will put in a supra pubic catheter, which may delay his discharge.

I have got an alternative plan for his transport anyway if he has to go from home. My son and another big strong friend are happy to lift him out of the back door and over the step in his wheelchair, and if I use the Turner I can get him in and out of the car, or get an adapted taxi as you suggested Chuggs, which will be a lot cheaper.

I think the picture re ambulance transport is a bit complicated now, Scarlett. They use a private company to just ferry people around and if you are self funding then you are responsible for getting the person to wherever for respite. If they are going from the hospital then of course that's different, because they would be looking to get the person home anyway if they were not mobile.

Oo-er Scarlett, just finished off the Baileys:eek: Need to go shopping tomorrow!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Goodness! Can you get a wheelchair taxi? It's bound to be much cheaper.

Thanks Izzy, as explained above I may do that. The problem is getting him out of the back door and over the step. Am looking at getting a ramp but as the back door has to be replaced as well, this will cost about £2,000. Part of the work the LA reckon we can get a loan to cover!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I'm so glad you've got it arranged for transport if necessary, Es. Really hope everything pulls together for you both. I'd love for you to be able to pursue your planned music trip, too - if only to see you bursting with joy for a change, xxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hope everything comes together Es but take advice and don't try to move him yourself.
We would have problems if we ever had to get hubs out of the house. It would mean major rebuilding and because he refused flatly to use a wheelchair I decided it just wasn't' t worth the upheaval.
You can get portable ramps you know, can you talk to ot about it?

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I had been hoping that Nick would come home for a few days before he had to go into respite, and didn't think he would be in for so long but yes, as time goes on, it is beginning to look as though it might be better and less confusing for him to go straight to the CH, in which case he would be transported by the NHS. I didn't want to be bed blocking for my own convenience. They removed the catheter last night but up to the end of my visit today he seems to be retaining urine again. They are doing regular bladder scans to keep an eye on it but will have to recatheterise him unless the situation changes. Poor lamb, wish they didn't have to. I'm wondering whether if it has to be permanent they will put in a supra pubic catheter, which may delay his discharge.

I have got an alternative plan for his transport anyway if he has to go from home. My son and another big strong friend are happy to lift him out of the back door and over the step in his wheelchair, and if I use the Turner I can get him in and out of the car, or get an adapted taxi as you suggested Chuggs, which will be a lot cheaper.

I think the picture re ambulance transport is a bit complicated now, Scarlett. They use a private company to just ferry people around and if you are self funding then you are responsible for getting the person to wherever for respite. If they are going from the hospital then of course that's different, because they would be looking to get the person home anyway if they were not mobile.

Oo-er Scarlett, just finished off the Baileys:eek: Need to go shopping tomorrow!

With what you're going through, I wouldn't be surprised if you emptied all the shelves of their supplies of Baileys. ;) You poor thing, I feel so much for you. You're worrying yourself sick, as it is, and understandably, and then you have to worry about transportation as well.

Please don't worry about bed-blocking, especially at this stage. It's time to be selfish for a change. And please don't try to do any heavy lifting yourself. Sending you a Cyber Jeroboam of Baileys. :D

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope everything comes together Es but take advice and don't try to move him yourself.
We would have problems if we ever had to get hubs out of the house. It would mean major rebuilding and because he refused flatly to use a wheelchair I decided it just wasn't' t worth the upheaval.
You can get portable ramps you know, can you talk to ot about it?

Thanks bemused, yes I have spoken to OT about a temporary ramp but because of the configuration of the back door threshold and the step it's not possible. The back door has to be replaced and a custom made ramp put there.

Whoa, a JEREBOAM of Baileys, thank you Scarlett, that'll keep me going for a couple of nights:D:D:D

Don't worry, both, I have no intention of trying to move him myself, I think it would be far too risky.

Wishing everyone a good rest and sleep.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Thanks bemused, yes I have spoken to OT about a temporary ramp but because of the configuration of the back door threshold and the step it's not possible. The back door has to be replaced and a custom made ramp put there.

Whoa, a JEREBOAM of Baileys, thank you Scarlett, that'll keep me going for a couple of nights:D:D:D

Don't worry, both, I have no intention of trying to move him myself, I think it would be far too risky.

I hope you hada good night's sleep yourself, and got the advantage of the extra hour. It sounds as if you need that bed still, far from blocking it! I do hope they can get him comfortable very soon, and transferred to the respite booking smoothly, so you can go on your trip and catch up on some much needed relaxation.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hiya Es , no bed blocking on Nicks behalf as he so needs it. Do hope the urine output will be better so a permanent catheter can be avoided. Glad you are not thinking of moving Nick on your own. So wish things will improve for both of you . Thinking of you xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

Doctor Scarlett will be sending you a tube, attached to a VAT of Baileys, so that you will never run out. :D I know - I just keep giving and giving. ;) And you deserve it. :)

xxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Don't forget, Es: my hubby was in hospital for a month before moving into full time care. When I mentioned bed blocking on here, I soon got corrected! Take our love for you both for what it is. Hope this week brings news to comfort, rather than worry you, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx