Struggling at nights

chakras

Jan 24, 2012
My mother has dementia, which then resulted in TIA's and mobility issues. She was then diagnosed with sever left ventricular failure in Jan. All her meds have changed, and since that we have had problems.

In the last couple of weeks she can be at the toilet up to 15 times during the night. Constant problems during the night and then sleeping during the day. For the last couple of days she has wanted up to bed during the day, only to want to come down 20 mins later and the cycle goes on.

I have had hardly any sleep in days.

I have spoken to the hospital re the meds but they keep saying they do not think it is the meds. Own Dr thought it was the meds.

I keep feeling I am hounding them all, but the situation is getting so bad.

We are adamant about keeping her out a care home, but I need to try and get a couple of nights sleep.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if one of the meds she has been put on is a diuretic. What is she on now?

Saint

Mar 2, 2015
Hello chakras: Would this help ?

My mother has dementia, which then resulted in TIA's and mobility issues. She was then diagnosed with sever left ventricular failure in Jan. All her meds have changed, and since that we have had problems.

In the last couple of weeks she can be at the toilet up to 15 times during the night. Constant problems during the night and then sleeping during the day. For the last couple of days she has wanted up to bed during the day, only to want to come down 20 mins later and the cycle goes on.

I have had hardly any sleep in days.

I have spoken to the hospital re the meds but they keep saying they do not think it is the meds. Own Dr thought it was the meds.

I keep feeling I am hounding them all, but the situation is getting so bad.

We are adamant about keeping her out a care home, but I need to try and get a couple of nights sleep.[/QUOTe

I felt I had to reply to you immediately - I know so much about those dreadful up and down nights........Have just been through EXACTLY the same situation with mum - and it was quite a new development. GP advised to leave it for a few days to see if it was a temporary situation exacerbated by some kind of low-grade infection (ie poss. a urinary or bowel problem) and they did a few tests for that. Mum had been progressively more sad months before and had been taking a low dose of antidepressant for 4 weeks, to little effect, although early days to be fair .... . But -these nights were making us crazy... (like a newborn baby again). Made GP appointment but usual GP was away so this time saw another practice doctor who was a mature lady. She was very perceptive and asked all the right questions, seemed thorough, and suggested a low dose of MIRTAZAPINE at bedtime. After four days on that, our nights were REVOLUTIONISED! Obviously I cannot say for one minute that it wd be suitable for your Mum, depending on her health and present medications, but once some other physical cause is ruled out, you could speak to the GP about it. Evidently it just reduces the nightly visits to a more manageable level, but do make sure a urinary tract or some other bodily infection is not partly responsible.
Seriously, this little dose worked so well, I felt bound to tell you. Best wishes and keep us posted - us carers must get some decent sleep periods for our own health.
Just want to clarify the antidepressant was tailed off slowly when the Mirtazapine was started. Her day mood is slightly better, most days.

Last edited:

Saint

Mar 2, 2015
Just to clarify.....

your quote:

Just want to clarify the antidepressant was tailed off slowly when the Mirtazapine was started. Her day mood is slightly better, most days. Your GP shd be the one to advise technically,as GP can always liaise with the hospital if necessary, now your mum is safely back in her home

Last edited: