struggling and still in shock

NEESE201

Oct 16, 2020
Sudbury
hi my husband was diagnose with early onset Alzheimer`s last year - he has changed from a happy chatty kind thoughtful guy to a very quiet moody man with a constant sad face - he doesnt converse well (very quiet) but with no drive to do much at all - i am trying to keep him occupied and to get him out of the chair - he cant seem to do anything without a list or instruction from me - he is only 64 - and i am scared he is just letting this awful illness take him over - I have fibromyalgia which is not helping - i am just mentally and physically worn out - and this is early days - I dread whats ahead of us - i miss the husband i had - this man is a stranger to me - Neese

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @NEESE201 sorry that this has happened, it's not fair and yes you will be feeling worn out. I see that you are a new member so welcome to the forum and do keep posting as it is a good place to come and the members are a friendly bunch with a wealth of information between them.

Your husband may be depressed and his GP might be able to prescribe something for his mood, it's worth a chat with the GP to find out. Have you sorted out the practicalities like POA and applying for attendance allowance if he needs any help with things.

You will probably get more replies soon that might be more helpful than mine but do keep posting.

Wishing you well.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, he may well have depression, but also, frontal lobe damage is very common in early onset Alzheimers. When that part of the brain is damaged you can get apathy and flattening of the emotions, but one of the main symptoms is problems with executive function ie the part of the brain that plans how to do things. They become unable to do tasks (even everyday tasks) because they cannot work out how to do them, muddle the order in which things have to be done (OH often tries to take his towel into the shower), or leave out vital steps in the process. They also have problems initiating tasks - often because it all seems too much for them.
The answer is as you have discovered, lists or micro-instructions. Ive also had to completely take over almost all tasks bit by bit as I discover that OH just cant do them anymore