Struggling Activitites co ordinator

MissMitten21

Feb 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and also my job as an activities co ordinator. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have tons of ideas but I do not have support when It comes to staff and management. A lot of my ideas get a very judgemental look and I can't help but feel like rubbish about it. Its really giving me anxiety and I have thought of looking for another job because of this. The residents are all great and I get on with them so I don't want to have to leave so soon. But if I can't get through to the staff that I need help with this then I don't know what to do. Anyone else who has or had this problem please speak up as I am desperate for help.

Thanks in advance!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello, I've just posted a few activity suggestions in your other post, but I'm wondering if the issue is that the staff are expecting you to entertain the residents without needing any help from them? What sort of help is it that you need them to provide? In my mum's home the activity co-ordinators are left to get on with the entertainment whilst the carers can then get on with other duties or even take a short break. If you've got lots of good ideas then perhaps it's best to just get on and do them and not expect input from the carers, who are likely to be very busy and stressed during the current covid situation which has been really hard for everyone working in a care home.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Agree with @Louise7

Plus, are you the first Activities Co-ordinator the home has had?
If yes, then you are breaking new ground.
If you are following on from a previous AC-o, tread gently, but do it your own way.
It's brilliant that you have so many ideas, be proud, and you are going to make a huge difference to the resident's quality of life.

Don't give up, it's early days and take time to settle yourself in with the staff and residents.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
This is an example of a weekly planner of everyday activities. There are also special events, visits by music groups, petting animals, magicians, movie nights for some examples at my husband’s home. I’m sure you will do well x
58F2E44D-2065-4282-89E8-1199EFCB3E8F.jpeg