Stroppy grandmother

purple

Feb 19, 2006
Shropshire
Hi,
Just joined having searched the web for a way to help my mother and grandmother. My grandmother is 96 and has started to forget things, lose things and to get very angry with the people who keep coming into her house and moving things????. My 67 year old mother lives 10 doors down the road from her and is trying to deal with it all, especially the aggression of my grandmother :mad: We are in the process of doing enduring power of attorney. My grandmother is fast approaching the stage where she will have to have care of some sort...Ideally she would move in with my mother, but I don't think my mum and dad could cope!! So it looks as though she will have to go into a home :(

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Has your mum spoken to your grandmother doctor about her behaviour? Would your grandmother go to the doctors with your mum?

I am saying this so your grandmother can be referred to consultant who deals with the elderly so can get the rightly diagnosed, care, & medication.

My mother aggression was hard to deal with at first, but understanding that mum had AZ & the changes that happens in the mind coursing confusion & aggression help me deal with my mother better when those situation arose.

purple

Feb 19, 2006
Shropshire
Hi to you both...
Thanks for your help, my mother is taking my grandmother to look at a home and to possibly do a one week stay in the near future.
They have not had alot of help of the GP and he seems reluctant to give a diagnosis, other than old age...Am not entirely sure why that is, my grandmother is concerned about her house as she wanted to leave that to her children and as things stand the house will be swallowed up by fees, so I am just trying to find out as much as we can at the moment.

Thanks Again
Charlie

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Have you asked Social Services about carers coming to the house, or has that already been tried and failed?

Lila

purple

Feb 19, 2006
Shropshire
Yes, we have tried care in the home and she threw them out. Mu mum had decided to put her in a home, but, after visiting has changed her mind again!!!My mum will need treatment soon...Going back to the idea of looking after her in her own home. we are trying to find out more info on our options before we go down certain routes.