Strong smell

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Just lately I've noticed a very strong urine smell coming from my mum, especially if I follow her after she has been to the loo, she hasn't said she feels uncomfortable or her wee stings, she does drink lots of cups of tea daily (that's the only thing she will drink, except for the sip of water she takes with her tablets), is this normal ? Mum is 83 and was diagnosed with vascular dementia 3 years ago, she still lives on her own with family popping in.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Just lately I've noticed a very strong urine smell coming from my mum, especially if I follow her after she has been to the loo, she hasn't said she feels uncomfortable or her wee stings, she does drink lots of cups of tea daily (that's the only thing she will drink, except for the sip of water she takes with her tablets), is this normal ? Mum is 83 and was diagnosed with vascular dementia 3 years ago, she still lives on her own with family popping in.
Hi Sheelz,

From my experience with my Mom if the smell is not normally there then I would suggest contacting the GP and getting either a swab test or a urine sample taken with regard to a urinary infection and maybe a blood test for any kidney problems.

Just as an observation and I would imagine your Mum has not been experimenting:D, I used to do a lot of offshore sailing and on one trip after a few days I noticed that one of the crew started to have a strong smell in his wee.:eek: He had brought along his own brand of South African tea which had a high caffeine content and the smell soon went when he changed back to PG tips.:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm constantly amazed by the things you learn on this site!
Sorry, no suggestions to OP, not encountered that particular problem. Others will be along who have, I'm sure.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Often people with dementia don't react the same way as people without dementia do when they have a urine infection. Is there anyway she would be able to give you a sample to take to the GP for it to be tested? If so then go for it and see what they say. I would be asking the GP surgery about it anyway and asking tier advice. They may well have more ideas.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. I too advise getting a sample of urine tested for an infection
Often older people and people with Dementia do not have the usual signs of an infection such as a temperature or feeling ill often the only sign something is wrong is being more confused/ agitated, having said that I remember a long time back reading on here of someone's parent who actually improved when they had a UTI

Another thing it could be.
Normally fresh urine has little or no smell, however stale urine pongs, what I am wondering if mum is not changing her undies and or washing/bathing regularly. I advise trying to go in with mum so you can see if this is the problem.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
My mum quite often had a nasty smell about her. She was tested for infection but there was none. Unfortunately she was not changing her pads, underwear, clothes as often as she should have been and this was why she smelt. It was such a battle to get her clean but now she is in a care home so that's not my job anymore!

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct

Hi!..i suppose dealing with toilet issues can be quite difficult for the carer and the loved one.

The only thing i can say is that going to the toilet like everything else we do is determined by a sensation and the thinking element if oh i need the toilet..like eating and drinking.

If you are unaware that you need to go its possible to be unaware you are going initially.

Obviously i have no info about your situation but in my dads we stumbled accross the fact that he was incontinent. He was still occasionally able to say im just going to the bathroom .

I suppose it could be as others have said an infection .or unoticed toilet accidents drying and becoming stronger.

No offence meant(i understand its quite a personal topic) just didnt want to go out without responding.
Best wishes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Thank you all for your replies its much appreciated and no offense taken with any of them. My mum has stayed with us this weekend so I noticed the smell more, when she was showering this morning I took the bull by the horn and stayed in the bathroom and told her to wash with extra soap etc etc, thinking I was going to be told off, she took it and said 'ok, I will', I was so shocked !! Maybe it was a good day :rolleyes:. I shall ring her Drs this week to get a urine sample tested too. Thanks again everyone

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
My mom's urine has a very strong, foul odor. It has been tested many times and normally there is no infection. It's common for elderly women to have bacteria in their urine, but it doesn't always mean they have an active infection that needs treatment. This I have learned through the last 6 years with my mom. Sometimes when she uses my bathroom at my house I have to clean the whole room afterwards to get rid of the odor!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
My Mum is quite incontinent now and often forgets to put a pad on, or soaks it so much that she wets her pants and trousers. She'll take them off and change into 'clean' ones - the pants are usually clean, but then she'll put the trousers on the radiator to dry. Obviously, non-dementia Mum wouldn't have done this, but dementia mum doesn't seem to realise that this makes them smell. She'll do it time and time again. I don't live with her, so it's difficult to get her to put them in the wash - the only things she seems to wash these days are pants, nighties and handkerchiefs. Very, very rarely do her outer clothes get washed unless I happen to notice a stain, and get her to change then and there. She wears different clothes every day, as is her habit from working in an office all her life, but unfortunately seems to have forgotten that they need washing in between wearings! If your Mum hasn't got a UTI, perhaps this could be the reason that she smells smells strongly of urine.

Once again, piph, our mums seem to do similar things!

I can't get mum to wear pads on a regular basis.....she wets herself and then often puts the pants / trousers over the radiator to dry. Sometimes they go into the airing cupboard - I opened this today to put in some clean towels, and was practically knocked over by the smell ....Then when I went to get her a drink from the pantry, I found some soiled pants drying on top of a box of chocolates! :eek:

It's a permanent battle to maintain any degree of cleanliness for mum. In fact when I see it written down like this, I can't help but wonder how on earth any of us copes. It's an ongoing issue and I have to admit it does get me down sometimes.

Lindy xx

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
My mum also dries her underwear on the radiators. She will put pant liners on there too. These are normally left by 'that other woman' and she has thrown away bags of underwear which are discoloured as they are not hers! Seems to be a common theme and I expect we should all be aware of the dreaded UTI and the effect it can have :eek:

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
My mum also dries her underwear on the radiators. She will put pant liners on there too. These are normally left by 'that other woman' and she has thrown away bags of underwear which are discoloured as they are not hers! Seems to be a common theme and I expect we should all be aware of the dreaded UTI and the effect it can have :eek:

I do ask mum about panty liners, she has enough but if "I run out I can always wash them" :eek:

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi all, thanks again for your info and thoughts, just thought I'd let you know my sister took a sample to mums Drs yesterday and she has got a urine infection and is now on antibiotics. We have also learnt (via the smell)when she has accidents she drys her underwear and tights on the radiator ..............she would be very cross with herself if she knew:(

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi all, thanks again for your info and thoughts, just thought I'd let you know my sister took a sample to mums Drs yesterday and she has got a urine infection and is now on antibiotics. We have also learnt (via the smell)when she has accidents she drys her underwear and tights on the radiator ..............she would be very cross with herself if she knew:(
Glad you have found the cause.:)

Its is a horrible learning curve isn't it?:(

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Glad you have found the cause.:)

Its is a horrible learning curve isn't it?:(

Yes it is Pete R, when people ask how my mum is I always say she is very well in her own world. Thank god for this site, it's us that worry and try to do our best for them, it doesn't seem that long ago (about 5yrs ago)my mum use to say " if I don't clean myself properly or smell, you will tell me won't you,I won't mind" !!?? When I'm on a 'brave'day I hint to her, but then get my head bitten off............Nay mind at least we can share on here.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I was wondering, mum had said she had to get up in the night a couple of times, I asked was it sore when she went...........too quickly she replied NO.
Makes me wonder.

Hera

Jan 9, 2013
Shropshire
Looking after Auntie

My Aunt lives with us, she is 89yrs and has been with us for almost 5 years since my mum died. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's almost 2 yrs ago. She is very reluctant to wash and often wears the same clothes over and over again, we have the same issues of some of the people posting on here with dirty underwear drying on the radiator and outer clothes worn over and over again causing the most abominable smell - I bought her some pads but she keeps saying "she does not have periods" so does not need to wear them! I feel so frustrated by all this, I do all her washing and have to sneak into the room to "capture" the clothes she has worn for days. Luckily she does not get aggressive, but getting her in the bath is a constant battle of moans and groans, so I probably manage it two to three times a week as there is never any washing in between. I know no one can offer a solution but it is good just to know that others are experiencing the same things :eek:

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I have found I have to take my MIL clothes out and if I don't (which I was out last night and forgot to do while husband was sitting with his mum found her in same clothes today and then looked in drawers and found dirty underwear out of wash basket in there. She denise thing

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
just some insight into the problem with putting things back...

Up until man made fibres and washing machines made keeping clothes clean a lot simpler, most outer garments were cleaned very rarely and were simply hung up overnight and then put back in the wardrobe. They would be occasionallysponged and pressed if grubby. Add to this the fact that poorer sections of society rarely had more than one change of clothes meant that even underwear went a few days before it was changed (or even a whole week!) Washing day was traditionally on a Monday so the least amount of washing generated meant less stress for the woman of the house slaving over a hot copper and mangle, especially in the days of large families. If you add the old memories to a lack of remembering when something was last worn, washed or if it was soiled earlier and you have a recipe for the most almighty pongs. As everyone was in the same boat years ago I suppose everyone smelled as bad as each other, though I do remember at infant school some little ones having their smelly pants removed by the teacher, it left me terrified :eek: