Strokes

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Earlier this week Margaret suffered a Small Stroke (The GP's terminology) which has left her considerably weaker down her right side.

She now has problems using knife and fork or even spoon, and drags her right leg when walking.

The biggest problem however is getting her into and out of the bath.

The Occupational Therapist is coming on Monday with suggestiions and no doubt pamphlets of various aids.

However I would be grateful if anyone has experience of bathing aids for similarly affected people. As I prefer users practical knowledge to theoretical offerings by OTs. It will at least give me some guidelines if she offers me a choice of appliances.

You can send a private message if you can help.

Thank you

Barraf

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Barraf,
We had a chair which we sat in the bath. Battery operated so that it went up and down. With mum who was totally unable to help herself it took two of us. One to keep her top half balanced, the other to swing her legs round. Once in, the chair supported her in the bath and she seemed to feel secure. For us it was brilliant as it had become difficult for even two of us to get her in and out of the bath.
Don't know if this helps.
Amy

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Barraf, so sorry to hear Margaret has suffered a stroke, as if things weren't tough enough for you. Make sure you get all the help you can wont you please. With regard to the bath problems, we had a hydrolic bath hoist fitted. This was a manual one which you sat them on, then bring the handles over and it stops them falling out. You then winch it up, swing over the bath and winch down into the water. One person can safely do it. I can send you more details if you are interested, love She. XX

basil

Jan 24, 2006
West Sussex
Dear Barraf,
Be open minded and listen to ALL the OT's suggestions. You may be surprised at what he/she can offer. Try not to have your own ideas set in your head.

Though it was my brother who had AD, I had a stroke myself and am pretty disabled. Baths are impossible for me ( I can't even get over the bath side), but a shower suits me fine.
Though I had to pay for my own walk-in shower - double size so my wife can get in and help if necessary - the OT provided hand holds etc in the cubicle as well as hand rails around the house.

She also got me a frame which fits around the loo (I call it my loo-zimmer) which is a great help getting on and off the loo (saves a little dignity if you don't have to be helped on and off). I hadn't even thought of anything like this, and it is invaluable now. I had already broken the loo once before - messy business that (lurid details available in a sealed brown envelope only).

OT's are trained to work out the aids which are really required for the patient's needs and seem to be able to think 'out-side of the box' and can make available quite a range of useful stuff.

Hope you don't mind me posting this, but I thought it might help to get the 'patient's' view.

I hope you receive as much help as you need.

Basil

Last edited:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Thank you all for your helpful replies, and thank you Amy for your private message.
I now feel better equipped to deal with any suggestions made by the OT.

Basil I wasn't being derogatory about OTs, but as in any profession some people are better than others and it never hurts to be as prepared as possible when encountering anything new.

Thanks again
Barraf

Last edited:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Progress report.
Margaret has regained partial use of her right hand and the co-ordination is much better, still has difficulty walking.

The OT has arranged for a wheelchair for outside use which is being delivered on Tuesday.

Because we have a corner bath she is having a problem finding a suitable bathing aid. In fact she is bringing a collegue who has a wider experience of the problem.

The one good thing that has come out of this iis that Margeret is far more placid and less angry than she was before, so that in itself makes life a lot easier.

There is nearly always a brighter side to things if you look for it.

Cheers Barraf

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Barraf hi,

Really sorry to hear about yours and Margaret's problems. Sounds like the stroke was the last thing you needed but if she is less angry and recovering somewhat then that's good... half full cup!

I have been around the houses with the bathing problem, although not with such a bad situation as you... The visiting nurses made me buy a sort of purpose made plastic bench, with adjustable fixings, which goes across the bath and is a brilliant bit of design and not expensive £20 ish... With the hand held shower attachment it was a really functional bit of kit.... but with a corner bath it may not work.

Because Monique 'fired' the nurses, I have now gone down the road of re-doing the bathroom totally, in order to create a big shower area. I have found that showering is easier and more 'Monique friendly' than bathing and provides 'instant gratification' - well is quicker and easier!

Good luck with it... all

Michael

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Barraf, glad Margaret is improving. I think the hoist we have would be OK with a corner bath as the hydraulic pole plate just screws to the floor and the seat fits on that. Its just a question of the area of space you have for manouverability I think. Good luck with the OT ladies. If you ask them about a "mermaid" type hoist, they will probably know what I mean. Love She. XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konnifel