Stressful day

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Need some TLC 3 letters came today addressed to my husband, he picked up the mail, if addressed to me he hide's it away until he recognises me. It was for his next eye appointment Feb 2015, 2 for March 2015, why do they send appointments to my husband when they know he has Alzheimers, spent all day looking at the letters, not understanding any of it, but thinks he should have gone this year, he only went last week but forgotten he had been. I feel everything is getting on top of me, at my wits end any advice thank you ♥♡♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
I have exactly the same problem so you have my sympathy. Any mail my husband gets to before me, either disappears into his trouser pocket or, just like your husband, he pores over it, screws it up, rolls it, folds it, and refuses to let me see it.
I am sure we are not the only ones, but it is very frustrating. Thinking of you and sending my support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

DandB

Apr 16, 2011
Hampshire
Have you thought of a lockable post box outside your front door, then you would have control over the post/letters because you have the key.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think the post box idea is good. Wish I had thought of it when Fred was at home. Quite a lot of mail went missing then and had to scour the house for bills, etc. Lots of sympathy and a big hug.

Sent from my GT-N5110

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It is frustrating isn't it? Way back in the early days of William's dementia, he used to take letters and hide them - especially if it was something he didn't like. Appointments for him to see the Psychiatry of Old Age Consultant, for example! In the end, I had to arrange for the secretary to send me a copy, or phone me and tell me the date and time. And I had to tell friends and family emphatically "Do not phone to our landline and leave messages with William for me. He will not remember to tell me." But some people persisted in doing so - until the day an entire group of people turned up on our doorstep for dinner, and I very obviously knew nothing about it!! :D They had talked to William, he had invited them for dinner. He had completely forgotten the conversation and never mentioned it to me. When they arrived, he denied all knowledge - and said "They must have followed me home!" :D:D After that, people realised I meant what I had said, and started calling me on my mobile. And I got a mailbox put on the house wall. Only problem was for a long time, William would lie in wait for the postman and intercept him!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you so much for all your help, the post box would be a good idea, we had one years ago when we had a long drive, should have thought of that, he does sometimes wait for the postman then opens the window to take the post, l wonder why they are so obsessed with mail. I will asked the hospital to email me with future appointments, thank you again ♥♥♥

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband used to shred everything before I had a chance to see them, also he answered the phone and didn't know who it was as soon as he had put it down, then when I tried to phone back if it was a office,nobody seemed to know who had phoned or what it was about,

I get texts from the hospital dentist and docs now for appointments. which is useful,
I put the shredder in the other room and put the phone on the windowsill behind the sofa so I can reach over and get it, Allen finds it difficult so doesn't answer now,
I was in the garden and hadn't realised the post had come the other day and would not have known we had any but found it unopened in his cupboard when I was looking for some cream that he had hidden,

Sorry no help but empathy with your situation xx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Need some TLC 3 letters came today addressed to my husband, he picked up the mail, if addressed to me he hide's it away until he recognises me. It was for his next eye appointment Feb 2015, 2 for March 2015, why do they send appointments to my husband when they know he has Alzheimers, spent all day looking at the letters, not understanding any of it, but thinks he should have gone this year, he only went last week but forgotten he had been. I feel everything is getting on top of me, at my wits end any advice thank you ♥♡♥

Oh Pamann, poor you. :( I had to teach myself how to cope with this one over the last few years. Never go out until postman has been so that I could be there on the dot to grab the mail. Made me feel like a criminal! But needs must. It's now become a hard-held habit and 99% of the time, I get to the door first. Not without a lot of effort and some annoyance because I can't begin anything else until this job is done. Which means very late shopping times, for one thing, as the mail often is left until the very last, sometimes, around 2:40!

Dunno how we manage!

My hubby still gets all the doctor/hospital stuff sent to him, but I know what to look for and, if he opens it, I ask to see it so I can keep appt. dates. It's the only way I can keep on top of things.

Love to you.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you chuggalug, l try always to beat OH to the mail, sometimes l don't succeed it like a race, shouldn't be like this should it, how much our lives have changed when we were young we didn'tknow how much we would suffer in old age. ♥♡♥ bless you

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thank you chuggalug, l try always to beat OH to the mail, sometimes l don't succeed it like a race, shouldn't be like this should it, how much our lives have changed when we were young we didn'tknow how much we would suffer in old age. ♥♡♥ bless you

I've often felt old before my 'time', ha! Hope your today is going somewhat better, pamann :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack