Stressed and exhausted

VillaJ

Oct 5, 2021
Thank you so much for your advice and your kind words. I will without a doubt seek out these resources because anything is worth trying. I love how there’s so many people who care and show support. For this moment in time thank you for making me feel that I’m not alone.

Davina40

Oct 7, 2021
Gloucestershire
@VillaJ just wanted to say that you are not alone. I am 40 and look after my dad with Alzheimer’s with my sisters. We did have a disagreement but are getting there. My husband is so supportive and had to step in looking after dad when carers let us down.
I joined this group and everyone has been supportive. Looking after PWD is hard work. I agree when you people don’t understand. Least we have found a place that people understand and happy to give advice. Hope you able to get some help so you can have some respite. I didn’t know how hard it can be looking afterPWD , we had a good day yesterday so I take comfort from that. Thursday wasn’t a good day and felt like walking out. When my dad continued to talking about work and was convinced I work alongside. I have tried to pretend that have in the past but have tied myself in knots. As this makes things worse as my dad will talk about aspects of work I don’t understand.So tried to use diversion techniques but that wasn’t working. The postman turned up at right time!

VillaJ

Oct 5, 2021
You sound so like me!!!
I walked away from my career for mum and 4 years' later, I am still wondering how it will all end (and when I will get a good night's sleep again)
I spent this afternoon offering chocolate to a bunch of totally (to me) invisible people and trying to get my head around the fact that mum was constantly asking the adult me when the child me would be home from school. I am constantly mentally bracing myself for the accusations of being selfish, trying to abandon her and taking her money and then moved to tears by how kind and loving she is at other times.

The truth is that dementia is just a nasty disease! One of the best reads I had is the Stumped Town Dementia blog, which is still available, although the author's mum, the PWD, has now passed away. It's such an honest account of what dementia does to that mother-daughter dynamic.

I did something today that I found really helpful. I saw a job flagged up that I know I could do if I wasn't doing this and I used Mum's snooze time to practice pulling together an application. I read it back to myself in amazement, thinking, "Who is this woman? She's actually really employable!" I started working towards a professional qualification just before I had to drop everything and care for mum and I was already seeing myself as 'maybe too old' and going in via the 'experience' route. The youngest I can possibly be now when I finally reach my goal is 50, but so what? So what if I am up against people 10 or even 20 years younger than me? I have more to bring to the table and so do you. Taking care of a person with dementia takes guts! It takes levels of self-awareness, empathy and patience that I bet you had no idea you could achieve. Imagine taking those skills back into the workplace.

I am lucky in that mum did agree to a few care shifts, so I managed until 6 months ago to eke out a bit of consultancy work, but it became very hard in the end. However, it made me appreciate my profession so much more and unlike when I was on the hamster-wheel of full-time work, I have actually began to peek through professional journals and start to become genuinely enthusiastic and optimistic about my former profession again.

Please don't despair! You are not going to emerge from this as a has-been. You are going to emerge as an asset to any employer!
Thank you your words bring some hope that in the moment of my quiet moments I can overwhelm myself with negative thoughts about my future. Some days seem more optimistic than others but that’s life for everyone. Thank you for your time

Davina40

Oct 7, 2021
Gloucestershire
Thank you your words bring some hope that in the moment of my quiet moments I can overwhelm myself with negative thoughts about my future. Some days seem more optimistic than others but that’s life for everyone. Thank you for your time