Stressed about sorting mothers house.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just updating you all. I've had a lovely email from the eldest of my two brothers and I have to say that despite what's happened I still love them because I have so many happy memories. Now let's see what the second brother says. My two brothers don't get on and before diagnosis dad said I would like to organise a meeting and not tell them that the other one is going to be there so that they will just have to get on with each other!

MaNaAk

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I see that being an only child has some advantages... Thinking of you@MaNa Ak!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou @CWR.

I think that dad Alzheimers was very mild at that point. I haven't heard from my youngest brother yet! However with regards to probate my other brother is still waiting to here about the inheritance tax although from what I know we shouldn't have to pay this. I am glad that I chased this up. Now I'm going to get my fish and chips.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thanks again you two.

I've just lovely cod and chips and ice cream. I don't know if my youngest brother has emailed but I'll find out tomorrow.

Have a great evening as well

MaNaAk

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Luckily mum care home fees are paid for by the Gvt under Covid 19 funding until the "end of the emergency" whenever that it!

Does anyone know any more about when this will come to an end? I was told provisionally the end of July but nothing definite. I have both parents affected by this, one at home with home care support, the other in a care home. Their care arrangements both began in early April so were eligible. It is of course a huge financial help.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Luckily mum care home fees are paid for by the Gvt under Covid 19 funding until the "end of the emergency" whenever that it!

Does anyone know any more about when this will come to an end? I was told provisionally the end of July but nothing definite. I have both parents affected by this, one at home with home care support, the other in a care home. Their care arrangements both began in early April so were eligible. It is of course a huge financial help.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Although I am sure I will cope, I can see a vast task on the horizon when the inevitable time comes to clear my parents' house. I have no siblings, and it is over 100 miles away. I'll probably need to pay a live-in labourer for a week or two to help with the sheer amount of physical work as so much has been kept over the years and so little thrown away. It will be all the more difficult if one of them or both are alive but in a care home as that will make it more difficult to throw their possessions away. Of course I could just pay some firm to clear the place but that would risk losing things that I might wish to keep and not getting value for things that could be sold.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016

We had a Best Interest Meeting last week with the Social Worker appointed by the hospital when Mum went into the care home under the Covid 19 funding. At the meeting the SW said that there is no currently an ending date for the payments but it was under review. She said that when a date was known, she would be responsible for contacting us to tell us when mum would need to start paying for her own care.

I had already submitted three months of bank statements to her to prove that mum would be self funding. I did not need to do a full financial review, I did not disclose details of all her assets and savings, just bank statements which showed she has enough money not to need funding for a few years.

We have not yet signed a contract with the care home so I assume we will have enough notice to go through the details and agree payments etc.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I will be looking at emails again later and seeing if there is a reply from my youngest brother!

MaNaAk

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Although I am sure I will cope, I can see a vast task on the horizon when the inevitable time comes to clear my parents' house. I have no siblings, and it is over 100 miles away. I'll probably need to pay a live-in labourer for a week or two to help with the sheer amount of physical work as so much has been kept over the years and so little thrown away. It will be all the more difficult if one of them or both are alive but in a care home as that will make it more difficult to throw their possessions away. Of course I could just pay some firm to clear the place but that would risk losing things that I might wish to keep and not getting value for things that could be sold.
I cleared and sold my Mum's house a year ago. We stayed there for a night each time we visited when she first went into the home as we live 200 miles away. I just worked away at it steadily keeping anything of sentimental value...Dad's postman jacket and the flying ducks....every Lancashire house used to have Ducks flying up the stairs! I found a lot of it could just go but I also kept a lot too. Get rid of the rubbish first obviously then pick and chose from the rest. It's hard but you should end up with lots of things that bring back happy memories. I never told Mum the house had been sold. Susan
PS it has made me think about all the rubbish I keep in my house!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou @lemonbalm and @Susan11,

I still haven't heard from my youngest brother but I want us all to work together to pack mum, dad and nana's things. There is a lot of rubbish and I have done a lot of shredding and as @Louise7 says this is very therapeutic and it is lovely to see more space. We also all need to keep an eye on the progress of probate and I am making other plans.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I thought about sending a thread entitled 'Please Don't Bother Explaining Social Bubbles To Invisibles' but I changed my mind! I never heard anything back from my youngest brother regarding the email that I sent last week but today he sent his partner in to collect his post and she came in wearing her mask eventhough we agreed to be in a social bubble.

MaNaAk

PS: I don't mind her wearing a mask but I have difficulty explaining things to him.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
To be honest, I think there is a lot of confusion regarding masks and social bubbles, well about lots of things relating to the crisis. I was listening to Radio 3 at lunchtime, and hearing about the trouble that Beethoven had with his brother and his nephew only reinforced my gratitude at being an only child! Take care
Charles