Stress Management

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I’ve just had this morning the last session of my Stress Management course. It was organised by Princess Royal Trust, but is actually an Open University course. I’ve found it so helpful.

When I signed up for it, I expected just another relaxation class, but it has been so much more. We have covered assertiveness, time management, coping with day-to day-hassles, body awareness, support systems, and so much more.

It has been very intensive, and people have dropped out along the way, to the extent that the last two sessions have been just the facilitator and me! But that was OK, I had a chance to address in depth my own demons.

Each session ended with a relaxation period, using a different technique each time, so that we could decide for ourselves which one we preferred.

It was free, funded by PRT. If you have a branch near you I would recommend that you contact them to see if they run the course. I found it enjoyable and very useful.

I’m going to try to make my own notes on the ‘dealing with hassles’ session, which I found particularly useful, and will put a copy on Resources. I can’t copy directly, because it’s OU copyright!

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Sounds excellent

The course sounds excellent. What are the eligibility criteria do you know?

Sounds like it should be made available to all carers!

Look forward to hearing more from you on this.

Love

Alison
x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
None at all. You just have to be on the mailing list of your local PRT. If you haven't already done so, you should ring them. They're wonderfully supportive, and put on very good courses.

Ours also subsidised massages -- they bring in a therapist one day a month, it only costs £6, and you can have strait massage, reiki ot Indian head.

Try it!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Hazel,

I do hope you can put together some information from your Stress Management Course, without infringing copyright.

Could you do it NOW

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s OK, Hazel. The last thing in the world I want to do is be a CAUSE of your stress. Then you`ll need to manage ME.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I have seen a few postings which refer to the PRT. I have looked at the website but feel that I do not qualify as a carer, compared to other people who have far more on their plate.

Even my Mum who cares for my Dad alone (when she is not at work - yes she is 76 and still works as a solicitor full time - technically for me :eek: ) would not classify herself as a carer.

Do they offer help for people who are coping practically but are struggling to adjust to the mental stresses of a changing relationship?

I know my Mum will say that she doesn't have the time, but I will give her the time off. Honest:D

Sue

Sue

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
sue38 said:
Do they offer help for people who are coping practically but are struggling to adjust to the mental stresses of a changing relationship?

Yes, absolutely, Sue. Both of you would qualify. I reckon I'm pretty OK practically, it's the stress that I find hard.

Our branch sends out a newsletter and calendar every two months, and you choose what you want to do. Many people just receive the newsletter and don't do anything else.