Strength training

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have no idea of how to post a link but someone will help me out.

University of Sydney has just released the results of research into the benefits of strength training in delaying the onset of Alzheimer's.

Experts have been telling us forever that exercise is beneficial in keeping our brains healthy but this study shows that strength training eg. using weights and machines has considerable impact on the actual physical structures of the brain, better than just going for a walk regularly. Worth a look.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I am all for research but once again nothing is relevant to my husband. John was a joiner working mostly on house building so lots of exercise and heavy lifting which continued after he retired at 64. He was also an enthusiast for foreign languages which is another recommendation for keeping the brain active. He had never smoked, drank moderately, was slim and a healthy eater. Happy marriage and healthy family, no temper issues - what more can you do to keep Alzheimer’s at bay. Well as in so many other things - pick the right parents. Johns father and grandfather had dementia so he got that as well as glaucoma from them. I was able to keep the latter at bay by careful use of drops but could do little to prevent the progress of dementia.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It is a very sensible article in that it talks about reducing risk, not eliminating it entirely.

My paternal grandmother lived in the country, never smoked, wasn't overweight, was physically active yet died of lung cancer. Sometimes these things just happen.

Rosie Wood

Mar 23, 2020
It is a very sensible article in that it talks about reducing risk, not eliminating it entirely.

My paternal grandmother lived in the country, never smoked, wasn't overweight, was physically active yet died of lung cancer. Sometimes these things just happen.
I am a new member and don’t really know how to use this forum yet

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Rosie Wood and welcome to the forum.

Now that you've found us you might want to think about start a thread of your own in the I Have A Partner With Dementia area of the forum -

You could tell us a bit about your situation and how we could support you. If you're concerned about the Coronavirus situation there's an area you might find useful either to browse in or to ask a question-

The main thing is - keep posting!