Strange tastes

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My hubby has never had a really sweet tooth (unlike me) but recently he has been adding honey to some very strange foods. Today’s was to some salmon which I had cooked for his breakfast.
Has anyone else had a similar experience. I am not worried about this just curious.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Both my mother and my husband had dementia and they both developed a very sweet tooth. I don't remember them adding anything as you describe but they could go through sweet biscuits, sweets etc like nobody's business!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you @Izzy. Hubby very rarely eats sweets or biscuits but when he does he could eat two or three bars of chocolate at a time. Even I could not manage that.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife developed a sweet tooth, I was told that sense of taste gradually degrades and that sweet was the last to go.

Debz5564

Mar 16, 2022
my hubby has gone off lots of things he used to enjoy, he complains they taste salty

Canna

Jan 24, 2022
Mum smothers everything in tomato ketchup. She drinks squash and cordial neat (claims she's never added water to them in the past), and this morning she added a generous slug of marmalade to her baked beans on toast.

Her tooth is definitely much sweeter, but I think she also just forgets what goes with what.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
My husband has never had a sweet tooth , but since developing dementia he almost lives off sugar!! He sneaks in bars of chocolate which he stores in his bedroom, he adds golden syrup to cereal, eats chocolate bars, bicuits and cakes all day, and drinks cider with fruit juice added!! So strange!!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It was interesting to read everyone’s comments and to realise hubby is not alone in this.

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
A preference for sweet foods was a question I was asked when I took Mum to memory clinic on my "family observer"type questionnaire. I also just found this (question13) in a questionnaire online from youngdementiasupport.london
So it's obviously a frequent symptom
C450DFE6-A3C8-4380-84B5-9A2641B70C68.png

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband liked indian curries but wont eat them now as too hot. he was the one to get double pack of chocolate digestives but now wants rich tea to dunk in his tea. he used to always have orange squash, now its lemon and lime. never had breakfast but now has cereal every day.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When my wife was at the pureed food stage I tried adding ground black pepper to add interest, she pouched the food and chewed on the ground pepper.

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
This is interesting, something I didn't know until I read this.. This would account for my wife's sweet tooth and diet consisting mainly of sugar (or at least to me anyway).

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A sweet tooth can be useful if the requirement is to get calories in forgetting about balanced diet.

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
My husband declares he always had instant coffee. He used to be really devoted to ‘proper’ coffee ! He also puts pickle or sauce on almost every meal. Whilst he hasn’t developed a sweet tooth he can get through masses of grapes, green apples, peaches etc. It’s quite hard to ensure he always has some available. He often hides food around the house too!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My husband declares he always had instant coffee. He used to be really devoted to ‘proper’ coffee ! He also puts pickle or sauce on almost every meal. Whilst he hasn’t developed a sweet tooth he can get through masses of grapes, green apples, peaches etc. It’s quite hard to ensure he always has some available. He often hides food around the house too!
Strange food tastes seem to go with dementia.

June spoon

Feb 11, 2021
Staff
My Husband has become a sweet tooth in the last about 2 years. He was a savoury person before then. Glad to hear it's normal He eats small amounts of food all day and says he don't eat

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister