Strange Request

plastic scouser

Sep 22, 2006
Hale Village, Liverpool
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to see my Dad's grave next weekend for the first time since his funeral - I'm also taking my children to "say hello" to Grandad. I want to take some flowers that will last - I don't want them to die in minutes (given that the cemetery is not exactly sheltered).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what sort of flowers to take. Dad loved roses and I thought that maybe a dwarf rose bush in a pot might be a better thing to take than cut flowers?

An unusual request I know, I'm not exactly looking forward to the visit but I really want to take the children as they keep asking where Grandad is - my Father-in-Law died suddenly last year and his ashes are now interred in a local cemetery, unfortunately it's nearly 300 miles to where my Dad is buried, so they nor I have been able to visit since mid-Feb.....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s a lovely idea to plant a rose bush. If you can get one with a meaningful name, all the better. Any good garden centre should have a list of the names of roses in stock, perhaps your children could help you choose.

I hope the visit goes well.

Take care

Tina

May 19, 2006
Hi Plastic Scouser,

Sylvia is right, the miniature rose bush sounds a lovely idea, and I'm sure your local garden centre would be able to help.

If you do decide on cut flowers (is there a little pot on dad's grave to put them in? if not, you can get one in the garden centre as well. you know the ones I mean, they come with a lid and holes in the lid, so you can put water in the pot and stick the flower stems through the holes in the lid. ), chrysanthemums might be a nice idea...they come in lots of different colours, and they usually last a while in all sorts of weather. We always put them on my nan's and gramps' grave, and sometimes the chrysanths stay there for about a fortnight before they need to be chucked.

Good luck with the visit.
Hugs, Tina

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I don't know if this will be of help to you and others in the same situation.

http://www.pilgrimservices.co.uk/index.htm

It is a company that look after a grave for you and send photos to show you the work had been done, worth a look at the website anyway.

I agree with the others on a plant in a pot.

Love Linda x