Strange one

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Mary9, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Trying to make this short! Mom was in care home, had to move to nursing, i have a sibling who cleans at first home whom i have nothing to do with. Said sister recently visited with a lady they said was moms niece, so she gained access to moms private and confidential notes, she was very intimidating to staff asking medical questions and asking if this n that is in place. Days later said sister reported home to safeguarding re bruises on moms hands, which i have no worries about at all, she is 88yrs old and has to be handled. I have now found out that said niece is manager of moms first care home, so blatantly lied so as she could look at confidential info, i am so annoyed about it, i reported her to her manager who more or less said she has done nothing wrong, she was on her own time? Does anyone know what I can do next, i think it is disgusting

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    What a strange thing to happen. Do care home managers have a professional body they belong to that you could report this to does anybody know? Misrepresenting yourself and then accessing the private medical records of someone be they a former resident or not sounds wrong in so many ways in spite of what the former home's manager may say.
    K

3. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi, thanks for your reply, so glad it isn’t just me that thinks it is wrong! I’m awaiting a reply from ss to see if they can guide me anywhere but I don’t hold out much hope!

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    It is so wrong, have you spoken to present care home manager about this? it is possible that they may know what you should do. Although the fact that she was with your sister may 'muddy' the waters a bit.

5. Havemercy

Havemercy Registered User

Oct 8, 2012
    This is very worrying. I wonder if the care home manager is a registered nurse? If so, then she could be in serious trouble. You can check out if she is on the Nursing and Midwifery register https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/search-the-register/ here. Obviously you would need to be very sure of your facts before you contacted the NMC. Good luck and hope you get to the bottom of things.

6. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
  7. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    That’s great and thank you for that info, I will check the link. At the moment i’m sitting waiting for SS to return my call! X

8. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you Sylvia that was possibly my next step after I see what SS have to say, i’m awaiting there return call.? Did also see where I may be able to contact the ombudsman? X

9. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Registered User

Nov 18, 2016
    Ive heard of this before. the owner of Mums old care home used to go into other homes with a family member to assess their relative to see whether they could be moved to her home and she pretended to be a relative.

10. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Oh right, just doesn’t seem correct though does it, why do it? x

11. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Registered User

Nov 18, 2016
    No it doesnt. Particularly as when I took cousins into see Mum the owner would hang around trying to find out who they were!

12. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi, yeah had a word with the care home manager showed him the email i sent and there reply, but don’t think he wants the hassle, did advise him though that i am going to try someone else to report to, and he did say he was curious as to why she had done it?

13. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    He should be more than curious, he should be looking into the home's procedures. Can anyone walk in and look at a resident's notes? I visit my aunt but I assume I can't see her notes because it's my sister who has LPA for health and welfare .

14. Mary9

Mary9 Registered User

Dec 12, 2013
    Just an update so annoyed, i have got no where with reporting this, cqc said can’t help, social services not interested, council said as it was in her own time it’s up to her what she does, how can that be right, no body wants to know!!!!, it seems they don’t care about old people with mental health problems aaaggghhh