Strange new developement I need advice/help please

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Well mum seems to be settling in to her care home with a few hiccups but seems okay (we're not but she is). But she's been rushed into hospital with an infection (again).
She had to have a catheter fitted and she broke her heart saying they'd taken her baby, she seemed to have regressed to her 30's (she's in her 80's and she did suffer a stillborn birth when she was younger) it took us ages to calm her down until she went to sleep. She seemed to forget about it when she woke up then went to sleep again and was moved to another ward from A & E but as soon as she woke up the second time she is now communicating with hand gestures and very slight whispers, we don't know if the trauma she had while they fitted the catheter has done this to her.
She keeps pointing to her ears as if to say she can't hear and she's not talking anymore. She could talk, albeit you couldn't understand what she was saying due to many TIA's, but she was talking and she was very vocal when she was upset after the catheter but now she bearly whispers and like I say just uses hand gestures like she can't speak propely. She's only slightly sipping liquids and is nibbling food and keeping her mouth shut with meds. She is usually really good with food and drink and always takes her meds.
Has anyone else experienced this? We are really worried and don't know if this is a stage of this awful horrible disease. Feeling very confused and helpless as she won't be releasedif she carries on like this. We don't know what it is.
Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does she still have the infection? If its not gone then that will certainly make her more confused. Hospital admissions also do this.
My MIL stopped eating while she was in hospital with a UTI - in fact this happened on 3 different occasions, but she bounced back each time. Your mum may well improve once the infection is gone.

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Does she still have the infection? If its not gone then that will certainly make her more confused. Hospital admissions also do this.
My MIL stopped eating while she was in hospital with a UTI - in fact this happened on 3 different occasions, but she bounced back each time. Your mum may well improve once the infection is gone.

Thank you. We've had the confusion before with infections just not this deaf/mute thing before. She does still have the infection though.

janetlynn

Jul 22, 2012
England
Hi there,

Can I suggest giving her a cuddly teddy bear? Put it in her hands and she if she cuddles it. This may give her comfort.

Warmest regards,
Janet.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hi andypandy, huge sympathies, this must be a terrible time for you all, so upsetting and worrying.

I think the teddy bear idea is a good one also try some non verbal interaction with your Mum - stroking her hands or her head slowly and gently whilst just quietly making reassuring noises. If she's a bit brighter in a day or two you could also try some gentle singing to her as music can often coax people 'out of themselves' so she may respond better to that than constant direct questions "are too hot/cold/thirsty/hungry/tired...." and if she does respond to the singing then at least you'll know she can still hear OK.

Best of luck.