1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. tuffydawn

tuffydawn Registered User

Mar 30, 2015
    my oh seems to develop little obsessions at the moment he keeps asking me if i need anything from our local shop if i say no he acts like a sad child and says are you sure you cant think of anything and then i have to think of a simple thing he can get ie cat food or a banana and off he goes happy but then an hour later he asks again he seems to take a long time as well as it is only a 1 min drive but he takes about 10 mins any one had this ?

2. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Mum constantly asks is there anything I can do to help even when I'm not doing anything, I think she just wants to be useful.

3. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Reminds me of mum one of my mother stages.
    Aways wanting to do something or what are we doing tomorrow.

Could be combination of being useful like reedysue/B] said.

Also getting bored wanting to keep active.Wanting to keep their dignity.

Do you plan activities that you both can enjoy ?

4. Rob_E

Rob_E Registered User

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Liverpool
    My mum is also always asking if she can do anything to help, particularly when I am cooking for us. She has always done everything and finds it difficult to accept that she can't do as much as she did.

5. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Agreed they want to do something to help. I'd say we're alright for food but the...
    think of any little job that needs doing (or doesn't) and try and deflect him into another activity. It might be; peeling the potatoes, taking out the rubbish or even just saying No we don't need anything from the shops but I'd love a cup of tea.
    It must be difficult when you've been a do'er and then there's nothing you can do.
    K