story telling?

kate

Aug 9, 2003
Hi everyone,

I'm new to all this so you might have to bear with me a bit!

My mother in law has just been diagnosed with early Alzheimers and I am looking for a little bit of help with understanding one of her symptoms.

She is making up the MOST AMAZING FANTASTIC stories in the whole, wide world! Things that are so incredible, they nearly have to be true and they have you going for a while before you shake your head and think to yourself - no, no, that's just another of her incredible stories!

She is 83 years old and i'm wondering what sort of prognosis we can expect? As her daughter-in-law, I don't travel to the hospital with my mother-in-law, as I have 4 very young kids, the youngest of whom is 8 months, so I only get everything 2nd hand from either of her 2 daughters who are in 'the know'!

Anyway, hope this isn't too rambling and looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks
kate

pauline

Aug 2, 2003
Sible Hedingham
Stories

Hello Kate

Have just read your bulletin, my Mum too used to come up with the most amazing 'stories'.
Some were quite funny when you finally realised that they were
all made up - however, some took a more serious tone.
Mum went through a phase when she would tell all the neighbours that I locked her in her room & wouldn't feed her - & because I was a childminder for 14 years, she would tell parents
that I didn't look after their children properly. Luckily I knew my neighbours well & had been involved with these particular parents for many years, so they knew me & knew Mum's situation, so no harm was done.
However, in different circumstances things could have been very
different.
But the more harmless stories were so interesting & entertaining,
Mum could & maybe should have been an author!
Take care & good luck.

Pauline

WilliamWords

Feb 2, 2010
Wales
Dear Kate,

The story telling, I believe, is one of the more interesting things about this disease! I enjoy hearing my mother's tales and adventures that, although perhaps based on some element of fact in her life, are often fantastical in the extreme. If all else is well and calm when these stories are being told, go with them, find out more, listen and probe – have fun with her while you can. They can be light relief from the more serious stuff. They may also provide you with some small insight into what she may be thinking at the time.

And write them down! You may easily forget them and that would be a shame. Perhaps one day they will provide you with some happy memories.

William

www.dogintheoven.wordpress.com

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Dear Kate,
Go with William (and read his wonderful blog). I would add record these stories the best you can. Most mobile 'phones have a recorder feature, so give it a try! Memory bank stuff which lightens the burden.
Best wishes in coping with MIL and children together!
M

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Can I just point out that this is a very old thread, started in 2003 (although to be fair, someone had to point out that fact to me....)

Last edited:

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
Hi Kate,

My dad is early dimentia 18/30 and I am his carer. In my dad's mind we (five of us) had a fantastic childhood, travelling all over the world, he gave us hundreds of thousand of pounds, I am his fav daughter.. He loved my mother but she gave him problems :(

Reality:

My mum died fifteen years ago, they were married for 36 years and she had a interesting marriage!. He was not a nice person. He had me put into care at 15 because " I have five children and only four are perfect" His words not mine. I am not going to air on here at the moment what went on, but just to say that sometimes you have to forget the past and look forward to the future and realise that the parent is not well, it is not thier fault and when they talk the talk you just nod and accept it.

I truly believe that my mum would want me to look after him and that is what I am doing now and the stories are mind blowing, sometimes I want to say " Hey you bloody xxxx who the xxxxx do you think you are, but you cant its as simple as that.

Sue

xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968