Story so far.

Shaz1952

Nov 5, 2012
Hello All,
It's hard to believe that it's been just over three years since I last posted. Looking back at my first post I'd say the only thing that hasn't changed about my husband is his drinking. Although he can still lead a fairly independent life I have now taken over all bill paying and decision making. Where he used to read at least two books a week he now only reads the newspaper. He rarely knows what day of the week it is let alone the month and does not seem to have any concept of time. He has become very much a loner and on the rare occasion that we are in company I can see a glazed expression appear on his face as he struggles to follow the conversation. I would also describe him as emotionless.
After a disastrous overseas holiday Christmas 2014 i went to see our GP about him. She was very understanding and initiated some blood tests for an excuse to get him into the surgery to see her. The blood test showed he had a massive overload of iron (nothing to do with his memory problems) and so everything was put on hold until they got his iron levels under control. In December he caught an infection or virus and spent a week unwashed, in the same clothes and seated in a chair with his head under a blanket. At my wits end I dragged him to the doctor's. She gave him a small memory test which, low and behold, he just scrapped through but because of all the symptoms I had told her about and the amount he smokes and drinks she suspects he has vascular dementia. He now has an appointment at the Memory Clinic on February 18th. You can not imagine the sense of relief I feel that something is finally being done. I will keep this forum up to date on the outcome of this in the hope that it helps someone else going through this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Shaz and welcome back
Times like that are very concerning - especially if you dont have a diagnosis. I hope all goes well at the memory clinic.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Shaz1952
I'm glad your tenacity has paid off and you are being listened to.
It's sad, isn't it, that we feel relief at having a referral to the Memory Clinic - but we do. To have our concerns acknowledged matters such a lot - lifts the weight of going it wholly alone.
I really hope it is the beginning of more support for you
and glad that you thought to post here :)

woodbrooklabs

Aug 17, 2015
Brilliant Shaz, isn't it a fabulous feeling to finally get somewhere. My dad has had memory issues for at least 5 years. Took me years to get him to the doctor then for the doctor to realise there was a problem. I got my dad to the memory clinic 2 weeks ago. For 30mins he refused to do the test as he had to tick boxes to agree to information being shared! Once we got past that part he relaxed. Got some right and the easy, obvious questions wrong. I was on such a high leaving the place. Just a relief after 2 years that he finally completed it!