Stormed out of the house

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
My OH has just stormed out of the house because I was too tired to go for a walk with him. What should I do, sit tight and wait for him to come back or go and look for him? He should know his way back if he doesn't go too far.

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
My OH has just stormed out of the house because I was too tired to go for a walk with him. What should I do, sit tight and wait for him to come back or go and look for him? He should know his way back if he doesn't go too far.

He's back. Didn't stay out long, and he seems to have forgotten he went out in a temper!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you thought about a tracker if he does this again? Especially in the face of you wanting to move house soon.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Oh Jean I send my commiserations it is so wearing when this stuff happens. All you want is a quiet life but a lot of it is on eggshells. John is never aggressive but is often agitated and I have to come up with ways of cooling things off. At 71 I don't want this after a lifetime of raising children, working with children, looking forward to just easing into my dotage. No chance.

Good wishes.

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015

Thanks friends . This is the first time it's happened and I panicked a bit. As you said when we move I shall have to stick close which is what I normally do but I was just too weary and took my eye off the ball for a moment.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
My OH is obsessed with going out for walks and collecting rubbish-which usually involves neighbours bins. He can easily go out half a dozen times a day or more.

What I have found invaluable is linking up with the local community police officers. They have a photo of him on their system-know his regular route-and generally keep an eye out. They are also my first port of call if he's gone too long/gets lost. ( only happened once so far-ended up nine miles away near where he used to live.) They also told me that all the neighbours understand and he is now one of the local 'sights'. Ho hum.....

Maybe worth contacting your own to see if they can do the same? Just gives you some back up.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
This is such a worry, isn't it. :( I had Telecare fit a unit (like a burglar alarm in reverse), so that if John went out, the alarm went off. I could over-ride this, so that if he was at the Day Centre, I could go out, without it going off.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This took me back. I'm so sorry Jean. My husband also used to come home with no recollection of why he went out in the first place.

I glad your husband returned safely.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband was the same, always wanted to 'walk down the road to his mother's house', of course she'd been gone 40 years and his childhood home was 120 miles away... Anyway for the sake of peace we would walk down the road and he would look a bit confused and eventually we would return to our house and sometimes it was the right place but other times it took a lot of persuading to get him in again. There were days when, like you, I just felt too tired to bother but I couldn't let him out on his own. I also had a door alarm like Scarlett's just in case. Now I would give anything to be able to walk with him again but his mobility is almost gone. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point