1. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello all

I've taken a phone call today from mum's SW to say that the carers have discovered that mum has been getting completely mixed up with her tabs. (They're in a dosette box and she's been taking them from the wrong days of the week ...) SW suggested putting the dossette box inside a lockable cabinet or case of some description. Has anyone any ideas where I can get one of these? I suppose a little safe will do, but seems a bit OTT, although I guess if mum can't remember what day it is, we have to move to the carers watching her take the correct tab on the correct day. I know mum will hate this idea, and I'll have to try and persuade her when I see her. Am dreading it! :(

Any ideas/experiences much appreciated.

Thanks

2. mumof3

mumof3 Registered User

Feb 6, 2006
    My MIL's medication is made up by the pharmacy in a vacuum packed package each week. The carers come in twice a day, morning and evening, remove the pills from the appropriate section and watch my MIL take them.

If your mum is getting muddled with the days of the week or as my MIL was, even associating the box with days of the week, this may be the only answer. I can't really see how the SW's suggestion would help - it would only create another barrier for your mum.

3. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    How about this one

http://www.epill.com/md2.htmlThe e-pill Monitored Automatic Pill Dispenser can dispense all tablets and capsules ("pill box & pill dispenser"). Will call caregiver (regular phone or cell/mobile phone) if meds are not taken on time.

your mum may agree with this .

other wise like you say

4. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005

Hi mumof3

I agree with you about the carer's watching mum take them. Think that would be a better idea than putting them in another box, although mum will rail against it as she doesn't feel she needs supervision for taking tablets!! (Much gnashing of teeth by me) If I turn around and tell her that I'm locking up her tablets, she'll go nuts. I'm guessing though that she's taken a tablet, say on Monday, gone back to the cupboard, forgotten it's Monday, so taken Tuesdays. I'll have to find out exactly what's happened when I visit her. ... Nightmare, isn't it?

Margarita: Thanks for your reply also. I will check out the link and keep the information as I think at some stage, if (when) :( mum worsens, I'll need a back-up plan.

Much appreciate your advice. I think I'd have gone mad without this site! :)

5. Jackie B

Jackie B Registered User

Jun 9, 2005
    Croydon
    Another idea for you

Lucille,

The automatic doset box that my mum uses has been the best buy I've made in years. It is run on batteries and the correct pills come round at the right time every day.( PivoTell Automatic Pill Dispenser www.pivotell.co.uk)

Before, my Mum would take too many, thinking she was already on a new day and we landed up in hospital with her having overdosed.

With the locked electronic box she still has her tablets and feels in control, but is unable to overdose. A carer goes in every evening after the 5pm dose is made available and ensures mum takes them.

Sooooooo much easier.........no more worries......my life, the carers job and mums health have all benefitted...grrreat!:D

Jackie

6. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks, Jackie. This looks interesting! At the moment, mum's chemist fills up the dosette box, but I'm guessing that this replaces it?

I'll download some of the info and have a looksee!

Ta.

7. Ruby Headstrong

Ruby Headstrong Registered User

Jan 25, 2006
    My Mum's tablets are kept in two dosset boxes (one for evening, one for morning) and her carers give her them every day. I fill the boxes each week and put them in a plastic folder where the carers also keep their notes. I have found that Mum doesn't touch the folder but leaves it for the carers. But one carer said that one of the other people they visted uses an ordinary briefcase with a combination lock to store the dosset boxes - keeps the tablets safe, but doesn't look out of place in the house like a safe might.
    RubyH

8. jeannette

jeannette Registered User

Feb 27, 2006
    No real choice

Hi Lucille.

I think the others have come up with better solutions than I could re pills - especially as my mother refuses ever to take anything (and has the great good fortune not to have to). But having said that, there have been so many things by now that she has "gone nuts" over - and all I can tell you (as you probably have found yourself) is that awful and draining as it is to get through, she will probably forget quite quickly. You'll be the one left, as always, stressing over it. One more right of hers taken away - but with medication you have no choice, do you.

As I write this, it occurs to me that what I've recently (finally) realized might apply to you and your mum too. Although my mother does protest and complain to the carers at times - sometimes much more vehemently than others - it's when I'm around that she goes OTT. Maybe it needn't be you who tells her about the change in "rule" about the meds? Or maybe you could take the easier way out and tell her from a distance, say, by phone, tell her that the doctor says this has to happen. And then leave it to the carers?

Obviously, as always, everyone's different, all cases and emotions and opinions are not the same. Just a thought. I think I'm getting a little better at taking the easy way out when it's possible - and the interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to make that much difference to my mum. On the contrary, quite often it works out better.

Good luck.

Jeannette

9. georgeh5099

georgeh5099 Registered User

Jun 4, 2006
    I am a carer. My lady doesnt know what day of the week either. Although i get her tablets for her we use a pill box that can be locked. It has alarm which u set to go off at what ever time of the day, my lady as her first lot of tablets at 8am and the last lot at 7pm. It helps alot.
    Georgina

10. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks J and G

Well, I presented mum with her fait accompli (the lockable case for the tablets.) I was dreading it, and now I feel quite guilty because her reaction wasn't to go nuts as I thought she would, but to put her arms around me and she said 'I'm not going to get upset about this'. God I could have cried! She still insists that she doesn't forget her tablets, and this time I had to agree - but only in that she takes more than she needs!!:) I hate this disease, it's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle knowing I haven't got all the pieces.

On the plus side, at least I know that she's getting the tablets when she should and I have to try and shut off the picture of how they are stored and perceptions about loss of independence. Another thing ticked off an ever-lengthening list. Thanks everyone.